Question About Technique

Hi there, in my short racing career a few years ago I crashed twice in the dry both times on cold tires and both times I spun the rear right around so it didn't highside it just spun right out because I don't drop the throttle when it lets go. I was always comfortable when the tires were heated up to have the rear loose probably from my dirt riding experience and I quite enjoy it like that anyway, and also when using tire warmers I felt %100 confident with the rear out of shape on the first lap. On both crashes the rear let go very fast.

So if I am on cold tires do I need to push the bike up harder with the outside peg as I am getting on the gas or have I missed something?. I know cold tires are becoming less relevant with tire warmers these days but I am wondering if the problem will come back if my rear tire goes off (when I get back into racing)

When I say short racing career I mean 3 years worth, I didn't race too much in that time because of job commitments but I have won races and have competed well at national level, I am happy to lose traction front or rear and don't throw the bike away often except once in practice and once on the first lap of a race both on cold tires and the setup of both bikes was questionable, but I was wondering if one of the instructors might have spotted a technical issue in my riding. I couldn't give a rats ass about looking good with power slides and would be quite happy to race either of you.

And no I won't forget about getting it loose, its too handy a tool.

So if I am on cold tires do I need to push the bike up harder with the outside peg as I am getting on the gas or have I missed something?.

So do you really think pushing on the outside peg stands the bike up?

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at? Yes of course it would help to stand the bike up more on cold tires, but that ain't going to happen by pushing on the outside peg IMHO.

That aside, the answer is pretty simple, you can't go as hard on cold tires, their traction is far less predictable. After racing for three years are you really surprised that the rear end would come around quickly on cold tires? There is a reason why cold tires are one of the most common causes of crashes, they suck.

Yeah your right about that comment about the outside peg, I am not used to putting it into words maybe just picking the bike up. I'm glad you talked about the lack of predictable traction because that was the big problem I didn't feel it coming. And no after 3 years of racing I don't expect to know everything in fact I don't think its possible for anyone to know everything about anything. I remember Jeremy McGrath still going to riding schools quite recently so you can always learn something no matter how good you are. As I said I was 'wondering' if there was a technical issue as I might have missed something and there are people on this sight, yourself included I think, with loads more experience than me, I did about 4 race meetings per year in those 3 years. Also I was using tire warmers later on so I haven't learnt a great deal about cold tires myself. I guess it just comes down to pushing the bike up before it can let go judging by the way you said 'of course'.

I didn't feel it coming. And no after 3 years of racing I don't expect to know everything in fact I don't think its possible for anyone to know everything about anything.

I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to know everything, but the fact that cold tires have sucky traction is pretty comon knowledge. I was just trying to see if you were looking for something more then just confirmation of that fact, I'm not trying to be a wise ass.

As I said I was 'wondering' if there was a technical issue as I might have missed something

Other then picking the bike up and just going easy until the tires come in, no. I think that wold pretty much cover it IMHO.

I use tire warmers when I race but many times in practice I don't. I just turn the bike slower through the turn on the first lap. the point I am looking for is when the tire just starts to talk to me ( squirm). this isn't easy to find and it would be far cheeper to use the warmers than spend the time and money to find it now. The faster you get the louder the tires will talk to you.

Will