Which Boots?

Dianese boots are nice - light weight, good ventilation, comfy to walk in. They have a metal toe slider, though, and when it touches down it is a little disconcerting because the feel and the sound are too much like a peg scraping! Other than that, I love them.

I also have alpinestars, they are holding up very well and I like the plastic sliders, but they are the model with less ventilation and I found them to get hot when walking or standing on hot pavement - until I added a gel sole liner. Now they are great, and they were very price competitive.

Dianese boots are nice - light weight, good ventilation, comfy to walk in. They have a metal toe slider, though, and when it touches down it is a little disconcerting because the feel and the sound are too much like a peg scraping! Other than that, I love them.

I also have alpinestars, they are holding up very well and I like the plastic sliders, but they are the model with less ventilation and I found them to get hot when walking or standing on hot pavement - until I added a gel sole liner. Now they are great, and they were very price competitive.

Hotfoot,

I too have the Alpinestars. I have the SMX-Plus. What gel sole liner did you use? My feet tend to get hot anyway so I think I will go that route as well.

Thanks

Ozzy

Hotfoot,

I too have the Alpinestars. I have the SMX-Plus. What gel sole liner did you use? My feet tend to get hot anyway so I think I will go that route as well.

Thanks

Ozzy

Nothing special, just a set of trim-to-fit gel liners that I picked up, I think at Walgreens. The gel is a good insulator against heat coming up through the sole from the ground. Look for thin ones so they don't make your boots feel tight. On cold days I take the liners out so I can wear thicker, warmer socks.

I don't own a car, I ride the Vortice Airs daily, love them. Personally, I don't feel they are too restrictive.

*however* I am not the average daily rider.

I also wear full leathers, a Knox Contour back protector, and RS Taichi GP-EVO gloves every time I get on the bike.

Essentially, I wear full track gear all the time...even in the TX heat.

I learned my lesson when I was an "invincible kid" many years ago.

Hi Hotfoot,

Cycle Gear in my area have Dainese suits and jackets, have not seen any boots from them - only online.

Like the idea of adding gel liners in the boots. Which Alpinestar boots do you have?

Next Saturday will find out which boots work for me in terms of fit, protection and price.

If they have Dainese I'll try them too. wink.gif

Ride Safe!

Klaus

I don't own a car, I ride the Vortice Airs daily, love them. Personally, I don't feel they are too restrictive.

*however* I am not the average daily rider.

I also wear full leathers, a Knox Contour back protector, and RS Taichi GP-EVO gloves every time I get on the bike.

Essentially, I wear full track gear all the time...even in the TX heat.

I learned my lesson when I was an "invincible kid" many years ago.

Hi mal1ce,

+1 on your post.

Yep, always wear full leathers when riding, got a dainese back protector for the back of the jacket, Aplinestar SP-2 gloves and boots.

Kuddos to you. Way better protection than a t-shirt or jeans with tennis shoes. Ouch.... But, to each their own.unsure.gif

How many miles do you put on your bike each week?

Next Saturday I will try both Sidi and Alpinestar boots.

I'll post my feedback here.smile.gif

Ride Safe!

Klaus

Hi mal1ce,

+1 on your post.

Yep, always wear full leathers when riding, got a dainese back protector for the back of the jacket, Aplinestar SP-2 gloves and boots.

Kuddos to you. Way better protection than a t-shirt or jeans with tennis shoes. Ouch.... But, to each their own.unsure.gif

How many miles do you put on your bike each week?

Next Saturday I will try both Sidi and Alpinestar boots.

I'll post my feedback here.smile.gif

Ride Safe!

Klaus

I probably put anywhere from 150 ~ 200ish a week on my 600. Depends on how much extra time I get to ride for fun.

Also have a 250 that gets some occasional use...it's fun in the corners.

I have bought some Alpinestar 'SMX - plus' to replace my holey sidis! They were on special offer, so I jumped in!

I haven't actually ridden with them on yet, so these are walking around thoughts. First impressions are that they are a very solid feeling boot with an inner boot which adds to the rigid feeling. They do feel quite stiff / inflexible compared to my sidi's, but that is probably due to them being new. I'm sure they will break in around my calves!

Compared to the sidi's it does take quite a while to put them on. The sidi closures are pre-adjusted to my preferred width and then I just do the zip/velcro up - boots on in seconds! The alpinestars have a lace for the inner boot and then the zip is quite tight, so I have to to the top cuff up, close the zip half way, open the closure, pull the zip all the way.

Time will tell how the aplinestars perform - Hopefully they won't become holy!

Hi Hotfoot,

Cycle Gear in my area have Dainese suits and jackets, have not seen any boots from them - only online.

Like the idea of adding gel liners in the boots. Which Alpinestar boots do you have?

Next Saturday will find out which boots work for me in terms of fit, protection and price.

If they have Dainese I'll try them too. wink.gif

Ride Safe!

Klaus

I think they are the MX-5? They are the simpler, less expensive ones, they zip up the side and have a velcro adjustable part at the top. They are not the higher end model with the inner boot. But, as I am a gal with small feet, I have the Stella model - the ladies version - I think they are the same, just available in smaller sizes. Hurray for Alpinestars for making a full-protection racing boot for women, a NOT making it pink! :)

I have bought some Alpinestar 'SMX - plus' to replace my holey sidis! They were on special offer, so I jumped in!

I haven't actually ridden with them on yet, so these are walking around thoughts. First impressions are that they are a very solid feeling boot with an inner boot which adds to the rigid feeling. They do feel quite stiff / inflexible compared to my sidi's, but that is probably due to them being new. I'm sure they will break in around my calves!

Compared to the sidi's it does take quite a while to put them on. The sidi closures are pre-adjusted to my preferred width and then I just do the zip/velcro up - boots on in seconds! The alpinestars have a lace for the inner boot and then the zip is quite tight, so I have to to the top cuff up, close the zip half way, open the closure, pull the zip all the way.

Time will tell how the aplinestars perform - Hopefully they won't become holy!

I have a pair of those as well as my Vortice Airs.

Both boots have been worn regularly and the A* are stiffer feeling overall even after break in.

I think it's due to the inner boot/outer boot combo, there's just more material there.

Personally, I favor the Sidi's because I feel the ankle protection is better.

I will be checking out the 2011 model of the SMX Plus when they become available. Looks like they stole borrowed part of the "ghost doctor" idea that Puma was using and rebranded it "multi link control".

Local supplier here (TX) told me they will be hard to come by until June though, apparently the first shipment to the states is about 200 units or so.

Archived