Understeering.. What To Do With The Throttle?

Hi All,

Getting to this late in the thread (been at the track a lot is my excuse), but one point in the early post was not being off the throttle all the way. 1/4 throttle was mentioned, and if that was rolling on at all, then there was likely not enough weight on the front. If throttle is being added while lean angle is being added, that is the dangerous, deadly duo.

If throttle was not being added, but was already on, that's better than adding it, and sometimes needed (from a slow turn to a fast turn) but want to be aware of getting the front too light.

Most times a pushing front is due to being overloaded, as was covered. But it is possible to loose the front from too much throttle, and adding lean angle and throttle is a very common source of crashes we have seen at the school.

Lastly, 8 C would be a cold day here, and while I don't know your tires intimately, on some of our cold days we don't ever get enough heat in the tires!

Best,

Cobie

Just read a magazine story where they compared the original Ninja, the GPz900R, to the new Ninja, the Z1000SX. They said that around freezing temps, the old and narrow diagonal Bridgestone BT45s had more grip than the wide radials, type Bridgestone BT016, on the modern bike. I can believe that, having seen how my BT001s noticeably lost grip on chilly days, something I haven't experienced to the same level on my old school bikes. In other words, your tyres may be noticeably slippery on a day with less than 10C, especially if there's no sun to put some heat into the asphalt.

@Cobie and @Eirik

I agree, my quickflipping with a cold front tire is what caused all this in the first place, but now I know what to do about it B)

(which is to slightly roll on the gas and let the front do it's own thing (loose on the bars) ).

What saved me that day was not rolling off the throttle (and be loose on the bars), but I could have done better than that by rolling on just a split second earlier.

Thank you :)

Uli

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Getting to this late in the thread (been at the track a lot is my excuse), but one point in the early post was not being off the throttle all the way. 1/4 throttle was mentioned, and if that was rolling on at all, then there was likely not enough weight on the front. If throttle is being added while lean angle is being added, that is the dangerous, deadly duo.

If throttle was not being added, but was already on, that's better than adding it, and sometimes needed (from a slow turn to a fast turn) but want to be aware of getting the front too light.

Most times a pushing front is due to being overloaded, as was covered. But it is possible to loose the front from too much throttle, and adding lean angle and throttle is a very common source of crashes we have seen at the school.

Lastly, 8 C would be a cold day here, and while I don't know your tires intimately, on some of our cold days we don't ever get enough heat in the tires!

Best,

Cobie

hi cobie just reading this with interest and trying to establish a couple of things if in this case the front lost traction because of being underloaded (not enough weight on the tyre ) would another solution to be to have changed the timing before turning the bike ? - waiting a fraction longer b-4 turning so more weight had transfered to the front - or a longer roll off b-4 turning to transfer more weight and compress the forks (and load up the front) b-4 turning .

i may be trying to say the same thing another way , just my interpretation . cheers .

Archived