How Soon Is Too Soon?

Hi there,

I'm planning on attending a 1-day course in the near future. I'd like for my wife to be able to attend the course at the same time. Given that she just finished the MSF basic course last weekend, I feel like right now would be too soon. I have to imagine that the sensory overload going from 15mph on a 250cc bike to who-knows-how-fast on a 1000cc bike would be pretty huge. I'm just curious what's been the minimum level of experience that a rider has brought to this school and not been overwhelmed. Or perhaps a better form of the same question would be: What are the core competencies that a rider should have down before showing up for Level I?

Thanks,

Jon

Good question Jon. Could you give us a bit more detail? You say she has just finished the MSF class but does that mean she is a completely new street rider? Does she have any experience on dirt bikes? How comfortable is she with the mechanics of operating the motorcycle (shifting, braking, counter-steering)? Is she comfortable at highway speeds up to 80 mph?

I can say that CSS was an excellant introduction to the track and the education is invaluable on the street as well but I would think any potential CSS student should be comfortable at highway speeds and basic operation should mastered (ie she shouldn't have to expend thought on how to shift, brake or steer) before taking the class.Years ago someone told me 3-5K miles before taking a class like this but quality matters more than quantity (I've seen quite a few riders with tens of thousands of miles that could use some education).

Hopefully the coaches can jump in and let you know what they think.

Best,

Carey

...any potential CSS student should be comfortable at highway speeds and basic operation should mastered (ie she shouldn't have to expend thought on how to shift, brake or steer) before taking the class.Years ago someone told me 3-5K miles before taking a class like this but quality matters more than quantity (I've seen quite a few riders with tens of thousands of miles that could use some education).

+1 on this, Carey summed it up perfectly.

I agree with the others--you want her to get quality training ASAP, but you don't want her to feel like she's over her head.

Your wife needs to be able to operate the bike without having to think: "Clutch, downshift, gas, let out clutch, more gas, oops ..." She doesn't need to be able to touch her knee in the twisties--just confident with the controls.

She'll tell you if it's too soon.

Being comfortable with the control actions is what we normally say.

The 2-day camps (if you can swing that) are the easiest step into track riding I know.

Best,

CF