Two Fingers On The Brake

PoppaNoDoz

Hey CSarge,

MotoGP is a whole different level to what anyone else is riding at. I think it was Cal Crutchlow who said that it's basically twice as hard to ride MotoGP as it is to ride World Superbike. So back to the question - I think the reason they hang their leg off is just for balance, and you'd better believe that they're braking hard! (It's not likely you'll see them hang a leg off on the warm up lap or if they're just cruising.) It's hard to be sure without asking a MotoGP rider, but you're right that it seems that it would be difficult to grip the tank with only one leg/knee. I'm thinking that they are using the handlebars alot more to hold themselves up, which is why every now and then we hear of a rider who is suffering with arm pump (aside from the fact that MotoGP bikes are just much more physical to ride). It wouldn't really be surprising to imagine that the carbon brakes and those tyres require an entirely different approach to riding. It's probably like trying to grip the tank on a motard. huh.gif Which is just impossible since the tank is miniature, using the 'bars to support your body is just the way you ride it.

• 7 years later...

I've always been in the habit of holding 2 fingers on the front brake for the purpose of revving while throwing mean down shifts and braking hard.

Otherwise the rear tire, having little weight on it, would lock up! This is the equivalent of heel-and-toe in a car. Which, having been a serious mountain driver,

is second nature! Most anyone can bring a vehicle up in speed fast, it's bringing it down in speed fast that counts! Just a tip

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:09 AM, Christopher Hayes said:

I've always been in the habit of holding 2 fingers on the front brake for the purpose of revving while throwing mean down shifts and braking hard.

Otherwise the rear tire, having little weight on it, would lock up!

This is what we generally recommend at the school, as well, although of course on the S1000rrs it does the rev-matching for you so you don't have to mess with blipping the throttle. It does "mean downshifts" with just a click of the shift lever. :) 

On 12/4/2019 at 12:38 AM, yakaru said:

I want to move to using two fingers but honestly it's been a challenge, and it's hard to hit the point where focusing on that is the best drill to focus on!

You can certainly practice this off the bike first and then move to doing it on the bike statically. Work it into your riding when it feels comfortable. If you do the training right, you may notice you will begin doing it "automagically".