Number 1, Top Skill

Cobie Fair

But how do you know when to quick turn and when to get on the throttle if you do not know exactly where you are?

favor and importance are not so related.

my fav part of the bike is the grips , but it doesnt make any other parts of the bike any less important when working as a whole system .

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think for street riding vision is more important than throttle control but for racing throttle control is more important.

Throttle control footnote: I was at Barber for a track day a few weeks ago. A friend of mine wanted me to ride his bike a few laps. We had a friendly wager on what my lap times would be on his R6 vs my 1000RR. The first thing I noticed was a Throttle Issue. I came in after a red flag dampened my first session on the bike and asked if he noticed anything about his throttle. He said no. He was running a Bazazz Control system. We looked at the software and found that he was running 59% throttle position to full throttle. We calibrated the TPS and took about 3mm of slack out of his throttle linkage. The reason I say this is because it represents how in tune you can get with the feel of the throttle and how important it is to have good throttle control.

So, how did the friendly wager go!?

I ran a new personal best 1:38.2 on the 1000...wanted to get a 1:37 but was starting to get a little wide so I saved it for another day. I got a 1:40.5 on his R6. I told him I could get a 1:40 on his bike but it was his bike so I didn't push.

I personally have enjoyed this thread (still do), and crystalized for me a point: effective steering is key. I watched a stuntman (pro, on a Hollywood TV series), run into a car during the rehearsal. Why? He didn't know how to steer. Our steering drill now has been researched and refined over the last several years, and the results obtainable from a coach familiar with those tools can be remarkable.

Not that the visual side isn't vital, it is. But, if the key methods for controlling the bike are not known first...the best visual skill won't get the bike turned, or stable in a turn, or stopped. I watched a coach riding with his wife on a Sunday ride: they had pulled over in a turn out for a moment and were going to take off again, she was in front. They both looked for traffic and started to go. She stopped, he had to stand the bike on it's nose to not hit her. The married amongst us know it's not a good idea to take your wife out.

These are extreme examples but there has to be some kind of priority of skills, and I'd have to rank effective steering right at the top.

CF

Thank you, Cobie, for chiming in and providing us with a very clear and well founded answer - I really appreciate that! I'm still trying to contemplate what you are trying to tell us with the married couple, if that is about steering, stopping or vision - would you mind clarifying?

However, the wife/husband story reminded me how most of us act on anticipation and also how dangerous it is to do something unexpected. A bloke I know is a very, very careful rider. As a result, he has been hit from the rear twice riding his R100S. Both doing the exact same thing: Waiting for a break in traffic at an intersection, he noticed a gap, began moving then decided against it. The driver behind, also having seen the gap, expected the bike to move and - since the gap was decent - planned to follow. The result was a stationary bike being hit from behind by a hard accelerating car.

From this I take two things; do not change your mind and do not anticipate. Which makes us all sinners, to a greater or lesser degree :P

Eirik,

This was simply about braking, another fundamental that one should be good at! For example if that coach had used the rear brake, he would have plowed into his wife.

CF

Eirik,

This was simply about braking, another fundamental that one should be good at! For example if that coach had used the rear brake, he would have plowed into his wife.

CF

Ah, thanks for explaining! But the reason he had to be good on the brakes was because he hadn't accounted for his wife's actions, so it was really his fault had it gone bad - as it always is if you run into somebody from behind.

From this I take two things; do not change your mind and do not anticipate. Which makes us all sinners, to a greater or lesser degree :P

I think you always have to anticipate, to some extent - for instance, planning a pass on the track, or being prepared for a car to change lanes, or traffic to stop suddenly. But, maybe you meant that a little differently, more in the context of beginning an action before fully committing to it? If so, I definitely agree with that - one of the biggest breakthroughs I had early on was fully committing to a turn, instead of just sort of drifting in early and having to steer again later. (quick turn, two step)

I also agree that changing your mind - or hesitating due to indecision or dithering - can be dangerous, especially if it makes you unpredictable to other riders or drivers. But, back to Cobie's point, having confidence in your control of the bike and knowing what it will do, and confidence in the basic skills, should greatly reduce those moments of indecision, right? At least it provides enough data to make a solid, and quick, decision!

Like the stunt rider example, if he knew he could turn it effectively, he probably would have turned!

Yes, we "must" anticipate, at least to make progress. But accidents do happen because of our anticipation. A rider anticipates a slower rider he's catching to stick to his line. The slow riders sees a blue flag and thinks I better get out of the racing line to leave it free for the faster rider. Crash.

That's the problem with anticipation; the parties involved may anticipate different things and act accordingly. Still, I anticipate all the time. But I also know that I have been in trouble or had close calls because of it.

However, the point about having control and knowing what you're doing is highly valid under all conditions and can only help, whether it happens under normal conditions or under panic-like situations.

Archived