Santa Came Early

Well, Santa came early today....and I got my new 2011 Aprila RSV4 APRC!!! :P

Gonna do about 1200-1500 miles on street to break her in, then the track build starts! See you at Barber this summer!!

RSV4_loadup_sm.JPG

What kind of cookies did you leave for Santa last year! Whatever they were I'm buying a bushel of them this year. :P

Very nice Tharkun. Now stop grinning, your cheeks are gonna hurt for a month.

Be safe,

Carey

• 5 months later...

Well, if you were at Barber with CSS first weekend in June, you got to see the finally finished (paint went on 2 days before the school) RSV4 that took all winter to complete.

For those of you who didn't get to go, here it is:

RSV4_1.JPG

RSV4_5.JPG

RSV4_7.JPG

Great weekend with gorgeous weather after the initial rain Friday morning. Outstanding crew and Instructors as usual!

Tharkun,

I was at the level 1 school at Barber on 6/1 for my 1st track experience and I did scope out your bike - congrats! She's a super sweet machine - and it looks like you put her through the paces pretty well! I was #12 in the Green group (you might have noticed me by the big 'ol ###### eating grin I was wearing all day). I've owned a couple of VFR's ('95 and '07 RWB) and I'm a huge V4 fan - I keep waiting for HONDA to quit f'ing around and put out a V4 literbike that doesn't weigh 1/2 a ton like the VFR1200... Alas, I guess I'll keep waiting. However, I purchased the 2012 CBR1KRR and I've been very impressed (although it kind of makes me want the CBR with V4 engine in it even more). I posted a few pics in the newbie section if you'd like to check them out.

Congrats again on the bike - very nice!:D

Prince

Painted wheels? That looks a bit special! :D

How tall are you, did you find the bike comfortable? I'm not a fan of small bikes, was so glad to get off my 600 onto a 1000 because it was a physically bigger bike! But I guess the RSV4 should be okay, Leon Camier seemed to fit on one.

That's a good looking machine sir. What are your thoughts of her now that you have shaken her down on the track? I've never riden an RSV4 and am keen to give one a go sometime!

And aside from the cosmetics did you make any other mods? Any performance needs addressed or are you saving that for next winter's project?

Just saw this photo... maybe I spoke too soon about Leon Camier. RSV4 may not be the best fit for tall people after all, eh?

I'm same 6.2 and I found RSV4 quite comfortable - more comfortable then Daytona 675.

It does look small-ish but it's deceptive.

Well, I got the opportunity to hit Barber twice and NOLA once this month on the RSV4 and I am stoked about the bike!!! I love the V4 engine , but the Aprilia, she is very different from my Honda RC45 & RC30 V4s. I expected her to pull from down low (torque) and tractor out of corners, but no.... ya gotta ride her like a cross between a 600 inline 4 and a two stroke. Definitely a bike with a higher, tighter power band. An even with full Traction control on, she will spin a rear tire. So far looks like its gonna be a set of rears every three-four track days. 2 days at Barber with CSS, and two days at NOLA destoyed a set of GPA's.

The bike is compact and she turns very well and is very controllable, but you have to push her to get action. Was not an easy thing to tiptoe in the rain at slower speeds and try to turn into a corner. Harder you push, better she turns & remains very predictable in the turn. not twitchy at all. Bike is agile, and too me, seemed forgiving of my mistakes.

Suspension ungrades; Ohlins 30mil kit in forks and TTX rear shock, made hugh diference from the stock Sachs suspension. THANK YOU to Thermosman for th build and tuning!!

Mugget: I am 5'8" Those are Carrozzeria Tri-R Race Wheels, anodized, not painted.

warregl: No performance build needs pending. I built eveything I wanted. Took the Stock 2011 RSV4R aPRC and stripped it down to frame, engine and electronics and the went to town on a track build. Started with Race ECU, Exhaust system, compete suspension rebuild and rear shock replacement with Ohlins, rotors, master cylinders, race skins, rearsets, electronics (APRC), 520 Chain conversion and sprockets, race wheels, lightweight battery, custom fairing stays, Graves Sliders, and too much more to mention now.

Prince - Thanks! Yours looking good to!

Bike is very fast and had no problem blasting onto front or rear straight and keeping pace with any of the S1000Rs. It is much more capable than I am at this point. I am loving it Whoooooo!

I was there with you, on the Tuono and wearing the Sig Sauer hat. It was good to see another Ape out there. Sold my Tuono last Friday and bought an 08 RSV Factory on Sunday. Not the fastest, but I like the uniqueness and fun factor. See you at Barber next year!

post-23316-0-33842100-1341449958_thumb.jpg

Well, I got the opportunity to hit Barber twice and NOLA once this month on the RSV4 and ...

Glad to hear shes running as good as she looks! Nicely done sir.

I was there with you, on the Tuono and wearing the Sig Sauer hat. It was good to see another Ape out there. Sold my Tuono last Friday and bought an 08 RSV Factory on Sunday. Not the fastest, but I like the uniqueness and fun factor. See you at Barber next year!

I've always liked the Tuono. I have a BMWK1200r so the nakeds appeal to me (not sure I should have said it that way though). But even I am considering a move to the more track friendly machines. I'm trying to figure out how I can justify having both. :) Good luck with that RSV!

• 2 months later...

Good luck with that RSV!

This statement is an omen and I should have read this before now. Man, what problems I have had with an allegedly new bike. Words of wisdom to share, don't trust anyone else with your bike. Check everything yourself, especially after work is done. Even if it is a new and under warranty, dealers and the factory make mistakes which could be costly and perhaps deadly.