Book Vs School Vs Dvd

Hotfoot

Book helped, DVD helped a bit more, school made me push it more than I would have myself.

Still a long long way to go, its amazing when I'm going as fast as I can round a bend and the instructor in front turns round to look at you and points to give you advice as to where I should be on the track. How do they do that !!!!!!

Hey Buddy,

This might be off track just a bit but Warregl what would it take for you to increase your speed if you were practicing on your own? What is your strategy?

Hey Fossil,

To be honest, CSS has been my strategy, if I can claim one. You probably mean something more specific. I have been working on the skills (vision especially) and from that I have seen increases in my pace. That said I still have some SRs to break through (especially around lean angle), and I am still trying to develop a sense of traction (or more accurately a sense of when I'm pushing it). Any suggestions are always appreciated!

Best,

Carey

I think Hotfoot said it very well. Some stuff you CAN learn from a book or a video, other things, not so much.

I read about Standard Throttle Control, tried it, played with it, got it wrong at first but now feel pretty good about it. At the same time, I feel like I'm going to need some coaching to really make the Two Step work. That darned turn point still acts like a boat anchor instead of a useful riding tool. I could also stand a few minutes private discussion (and maybe a lap or three) to learn which techniques are appropriate for street riding, and which ones are more suited for higher (track) speeds. I can't get that at Barnes and Noble! I'm pretty sure that sort of thing comes standard at California Superbike School.

... to learn which techniques are appropriate for street riding, and which ones are more suited for higher (track) speeds.

Crash;

I think you may find that the skills are not mutually exclusive. I don't ride as fast on the street but I still use a lot of the techniques I learn at School. YRMV.

Rainman

Hey Buddy,

This might be off track just a bit but Warregl what would it take for you to increase your speed if you were practicing on your own? What is your strategy?

Hey Fossil,

To be honest, CSS has been my strategy, if I can claim one. You probably mean something more specific. I have been working on the skills (vision especially) and from that I have seen increases in my pace. That said I still have some SRs to break through (especially around lean angle), and I am still trying to develop a sense of traction (or more accurately a sense of when I'm pushing it). Any suggestions are always appreciated!

Best,

Carey

Carey,

What I mean is a strategy for attaining your goals. I once told a fellow racer who was 3 seconds a lap faster than me I wanted to take one second off my lap times. This was at Road Atlanta. His advice was that I should wait to get off the throttle setting up for turn 10A. 175 mph on the back straight down hill into a 70 mph left hand turn. He said, when you get ready to let off the throttle count one thousand one. That's one second. Amazing! Scary but amazing! On the front straight the same thing, one thousand one. That's two seconds a lap!

Now, there is a limit to this exercise right? I have to then see where I can pick up 1/2 second then tenths.You have to dissect the track and find a strategy to conquer.

"and I am still trying to develop a sense of traction (or more accurately a sense of when I'm pushing it). Any suggestions are always appreciated!"

My gut feeling is that you are no where near your limit.....get your tires hot, remember and put in to practice what your coaches taught you and trust your tires. You will be fine.

1324056249[/url]' post='25546'] Carey,

What I mean is a strategy for attaining your goals. I once told a fellow racer who was 3 seconds a lap faster than me I wanted to take one second off my lap times. This was at Road Atlanta. His advice was that I should wait to get off the throttle setting up for turn 10A. 175 mph on the back straight down hill into a 70 mph left hand turn. He said, when you get ready to let off the throttle count one thousand one. That's one second. Amazing! Scary but amazing! On the front straight the same thing, one thousand one. That's two seconds a lap!

Now, there is a limit to this exercise right? I have to then see where I can pick up 1/2 second then tenths.You have to dissect the track and find a strategy to conquer.

Ok I am with you now. I was working on this at VIR this year. At T1 I was later on the brakes and using more of the track on the second apex to keep up my corner speed. I was also working on better RPs to help me connect T15 and T16 (coming down the roller coaster). I'll have to keep looking for these specific opportunities.

1324056560[/url]' post='25547']

My gut feeling is that you are no where near your limit.....get your tires hot, remember and put in to practice what your coaches taught you and trust your tires. You will be fine.

And I'm sure you and Rainman are right here. I'm hoping to get some more track time next season and I'm sure that will help. That and another level 4 or two. smile.gif

Archived