Crisis Averted

So this weekend, I re-watched TotW II, as is my custom. You may recall the scene where the narrator explains the safety of riding the proper line, and then it shows a bike evading a cage that is encroaching on the rider's lane.

Well tonight after work, I was riding in the Pleasant Park/Deer Creek Canyon area in Colorado (recently on the news because of forest fire), and sure enough, some jackass comes around a corner COMPLETELY in my lane. Fortunately, my position was correct, and it was a non-issue (other than my thinking murderous thoughts for several minutes).

Thank you, Mr. Code. The value of your instruction is incalculable.

Nice work ikon. You can't control everyone out there but you can arm yourself with knowledge and work on your abilities to increase the odds of a positive outcome when you encounter a bad situation. I have had a couple of situations that, without the education imparted by CSS, would probably have gone badly for me as well.

Plus it's just more fun when you actually know how to ride that thing :D .

The correct line on a road is different to that on track though. Over here we obviously drive on the left and if coming up to a left hand bend, we'd advocate staying to the right of the lane, thus improving your visibility round the corner, likewise in a right hand bend we'd stick to the far left of the lane. This seems to go against what you're suggesting above though. I'd have been in the path of the oncoming car, but the added visibility would have meant I could have adjusted my line earlier too and accounted for it, also, the car would have seen me earlier than if I'd have been over to the left.

The correct line on a road is different to that on track though. Over here we obviously drive on the left and if coming up to a left hand bend, we'd advocate staying to the right of the lane, thus improving your visibility round the corner, likewise in a right hand bend we'd stick to the far left of the lane. This seems to go against what you're suggesting above though. I'd have been in the path of the oncoming car, but the added visibility would have meant I could have adjusted my line earlier too and accounted for it, also, the car would have seen me earlier than if I'd have been over to the left.

I personally use the quick turn (im no world champ but im very quick compared to most road users) hence my point of entry is way further than most people into the turn.

Visibility is also greater because as you said it... I stay on the right right until the very turn point and CS left , practicing the visual 2 step turning too .

after that its smooth roll on of the throttle, and if theres a manhole in the middle, I use a line where my rear clips the middle of it (to make it slide) and use it as an "impossible" line .

Only on roads Im very familiar with thou.

IMHO You'll either have to have a quick turning bike (short wheelbase like mine) or work on the steering rate + predetermined turn point (chapter 15+16 on TOTW II book)

I have both tools btw.

A weekend custom of watching the Twist DVD? Nice one!

How people fail to stay in their lane is beyond me (I'm not just talking cars, I have seen oncoming bikes in my lane as well blink.gif ). You wonder how these people got out of preschool, mustn't have understood the concept of 'colouring between the lines'. tongue.giflaugh.gif

A weekend custom of watching the Twist DVD? Nice one!

How people fail to stay in their lane is beyond me (I'm not just talking cars, I have seen oncoming bikes in my lane as well blink.gif ). You wonder how these people got out of preschool, mustn't have understood the concept of 'colouring between the lines'. tongue.giflaugh.gif

panic > off throttle/back brake / both> run wide > instant access to incoming traffic. :rolleyes:

True, but then there's also ones who just seem to be completely oblivious to any road markings and just ride however they want...

When car drivers panic that is scary though. Maybe there is a real market for a series of books and DVDs called "Push of the Foot"? laugh.giftongue.gif