Braking And Turn Entry Question

You can definitely do it on any bike. In fact the S1000RR, according to BMW literature, is only enabled with quickshift for going up and not down. Put very light pressure on the lever and quickly blip the throttle as you are slowing down. At the point that the revs reach the required level there'll be no load on the gears and she'll just slip right in. Get it wrong and you'll either jerk or simply not be able to change.

I do clutchless down shifts on my GS all the time and all my previous bikes (Shiver 750, CBF1000, ZX6R).

Preloading the lever will increase wear on the shifter forks and also make them more likely to bend if overdone. Personally, I find it much easier to use the clutch since it allows me to be sloppier, meaning I do not have to waste energy on matching things perfectly. And it is gentler on the drivetrain, although the clutch will take a bit more abuse than with clutchless shifting. OTOH, I've never had to replace a clutch pack.

Anyway, each to their own - do what works for you B)

Right, the BMW shift assist is only for upshifts. It totally cool, too, I love it.

As far as I know you can do clutchless downshifts on any bike. I use clutchless downshifts on all my bikes, including my old 1988 YSR50, my cruiser, and my dirtbikes. I've never had to replace a clutch, and never had any transmission issues.

Will recommends NOT pre-loading the lever, sounds like that can be hard on components, and on the BMW it can confuse the sensors.

I've never had to replace a clutch,

Yup, as I mentioned you save the clutch since you don't use it to match rpm. And if you are smooth and coordinated to perfection, clutchless shifting is better than non-matched shifts with the clutch. Few are good enough in my experience to make 100% properly excecuted shifts, though, which is why use of the clutch makes sense for gumbies like me ;)

........As far as I know you can do clutchless downshifts on any bike. I use clutchless downshifts on all my bikes, including my old 1988 YSR50, my cruiser, and my dirtbikes. I've never had to replace a clutch, and never had any transmission issues...........

I stand corrected.

I will have to experiment with my bike.