Pivot Points

aslcbr600

Just got done reading chapter 19 about pivot steering and pivot points. Currently what I do is put more weight on the inside peg rather then the outside, I was told from a track coach that weighting the inside peg allows the front tire to bite more for traction. I tried this and I have to admit it gave me a lot more confidence in the turn.

Now after reading this I also see where Keith is coming from as well, if I am at a steep lean angle I personally don't think putting too much weight on the inside peg would be a good idea. I just imagine that if there was a bump on the track that it would just push the bike from under you because so much is resting on that one side? On the other note, I remember when Crutchlow had his injury and his left leg (outside leg in a right turn) was just almost dangling off the peg.

I also see it being hard to use the outside peg as a pivot point in a steep lean angle, how much weight can you really put on the outside peg when you are leaned over that far? Just doesn't seem like at that point you would have much if any leverage at all.

Can someone please explain this to me?

How much turning are you doing of the bike when it's at high lean angle in the middle of the turn?

Bullet

I am not sure if I am following your question here but in the middle of the turn you should already be locked in following your line so I would have to say very little?

We've had a similar discussion before:

http://forums.superb...?showtopic=3310

Awesome, thanks for the link. It's starting to make more sense now!

Awesome, thanks for the link. It's starting to make more sense now!

B) Glad it is starting to make sense. FWIW, I really don't put any weight at all on my inside foot. It pretty much just rests on the footpeg. There is SO much more stability when locked in with the outside leg, and that makes relaxing your arms a lot easier.

I hear ya. I haven't been out since CSS / Thunderbolt at the end of July. Trying to book a NESBA date(s) for the end of the month :unsure: .

Try being without your bike for a year! Since August 31st (last year), I have only been riding for 1 hour (and that was a coldish Easter day).

But riding a motorcycle here is suicidal (but some will say the same applies to ordinary bikes and driving a car)

I remember when Crutchlow had his injury and his left leg (outside leg in a right turn) was just almost dangling off the peg.

Cal has stated in interviews that this is a result of his just being too short, his outside leg is dangling off the peg quite frequently.

Oh wow. Really?!! You'd think those guys could get set of custom rearsets or something! blink.gif

I'm amazed!

Then again... MotoGP is an extreme...

Try being without your bike for a year! Since August 31st (last year), I have only been riding for 1 hour (and that was a coldish Easter day).

But riding a motorcycle here is suicidal (but some will say the same applies to ordinary bikes and driving a car)

Damn!! Suddenly a few months isn't too bad at all :o . When are you coming back to the states?

Damn!! Suddenly a few months isn't too bad at all :o . When are you coming back to the states?

'Back' is kind of an overstatement, but next month.

Sure this is not the optimum preparation up to a CSS camp, but my choices are limited (bike in Europe, I'm in Asia).