Learning To Trust My Tires

noamkrief

I think you missed my point. When hanging off and going too slow, the bike was completely vertical in the corner. It was only till I started trusting that hanging off will allow for more cornering speed, where I increased my speed during the corner and that's when hanging off body position felt very comfortable. Without the centrifugal force of a high speed corner, hanging off is a bit awkward... Try it sometime :)

I understood fine :)

And no I don't ever feel awkward when hanging off! I used to sometiimes, but not after undertaking level 3 of the CSS school. Maybe I'm wrong with my suspicion, but please humour me and answer my three questions ;o)

How tense does your upper body feel when you hang off like this?

My upper body doesn't feel tense. My lower back was a bit sore at the end of the day...

How are you supporting your weight now that your butt is not planted on the seat?

I think my body weight is on my inner knee. My outer knee against the tank is also holding alot of my body. Once I installed stomp grip during the lunch hour of the track day - I felt alot better supporting my weight with the outer knee.

Do you think this could add any unwanted input into your steering?

I don't have any unwanted steering input. I make a point to keep my grips light as a feather. If I had the balls, I could theoretically take my hands off the bars mid-corner...

On the other hand - during chicanes or turn that leads onto another turn in the opposite direction, I definitely haven't figured out how to flick the bike to the other side without using my arms. I can definitely feel unwanted steering input there... On rare occasions I'm able to flick the bike the other way without steering input, but it's mostly luck. I understand the concept of using the legs to switch positions, but haven't applied it in real life yet...

On the other hand - during chicanes or turn that leads onto another turn in the opposite direction, I definitely haven't figured out how to flick the bike to the other side without using my arms. I can definitely feel unwanted steering input there... On rare occasions I'm able to flick the bike the other way without steering input, but it's mostly luck. I understand the concept of using the legs to switch positions, but haven't applied it in real life yet...

Counter-steering is the only way to flick the bike to the opposite side; hence, you must use your arms.