How To Hang Off?

Stroker

Are the parking lots cleaner in your area?

35* or even 40* is easily achievable at sub 20 mph in a parking lot. Atleast then you have less risk of injury to yourself if you do fall while approaching and pushing beyond your personal limits

Are the parking lots cleaner in your area?

35* or even 40* is easily achievable at sub 20 mph in a parking lot. Atleast then you have less risk of injury to yourself if you do fall while approaching and pushing beyond your personal limits

You are definitely right on that...

Here is a YouTube of me in my red sports tourer Ninja 1000 in a parking lot with some friends during a knee down practice session. This was last year in August....

As per @Stroker - if you see the other bikes on this video, they are nothing more than 100-cc. This goes back to my reply that you could achieve a lot, even with small bikes; and less the hurt and pain if you make a mistake.

All the way back in 1986, MOTORRAD magazine journalists briefly achieved 52 degrees of lean on a BMW K75 around a skidpad using stock Metzeler touring tyres. The tyres would begin to squirm and walk at 50 degrees, but before reaching these levels the footpeg had already been ground down to almost nothingness. My own Yamaha Seca 750 would still stick, on normal chilly Norwegian roads, with peg, stands and exhaust throwing sparks on its stock Bridgerocks back in 1983. Cannot say how far over it was, but IIRC Yamaha claimed 45 degrees in their ads.

Obviously, this was done on a clean and grippy surface at relatively low speeds, but if you take into account the improvements made between a touring tyre from 1986 and a sports tyre from 2013, I cannot see 45 degrees of lean putting much of a challenge for the rubber on a normal, clean road.

:D We have no parking space at all! All lots,side roads,footpaths are full of parked vehicles.I have seen videos of people going in circles, getting the body position right, because that's the last to fall in place before you properly hang off.The lean angle and speed are more easily gotten right.

In retrospect, i should have asked about body position.

:D We have no parking space at all! All lots,side roads,footpaths are full of parked vehicles.I have seen videos of people going in circles, getting the body position right, because that's the last to fall in place before you properly hang off.The lean angle and speed are more easily gotten right.

In retrospect, i should have asked about body position.

If that were the case, then the questions you should ask would be:

- better throttle control

- better brake control

- better vision skills

- line selection

rather than brake-throttle blip-downshift and hangoff/knee downs...

Even at the CSS - Body Position is taken up in Level 3...

For starters, you should focus on keeping a RELAXED (most people, when brought to attention, have a DEATH grip on the bars) nuetral position, or at the most, about a 5-cm shift of your butt to the inside of the turn (quite advantageous for today's tires; depending on the type of bike, of course)...

• 2 months later...

PS: You can actually hang off and drag knee even in a confined space in a parking lot... But what is the point?

Well, when that's the only place you can practice under controlled conditions (road familiarity, quirks, traffic density, etc) then why not?