Tire Plugs

I get all my tire supplies from K&L supply. They are a wholesaler to dealers so you will have to ask around a little. They have all sizes of the nippled patches I use and the rope plugs.

• 9 months later...

I've always thought I'd never use a plug until I got caught out about thirty miles from home with a screw in my tire and no way to change it. Fortunately, a great stroke of luck found me in the hands of a private mechanic with a plug. This, by the way. was a three week old tire on a three week old bike so I didn't want to eat the cost of an almost new tire. The Bridgestone Battleaxe don't come cheap. So Carmine quickly and easily put the plug in and I got to use the tire. Plugs have won a place in my tool kit.

I'm going to assume the type of plug your chance mechanic installed was the smaller push in from the outside style plugs, which are great in a pinch but are not the best long term fix. The type of plug I was asking Will about is a much larger and more permanent style that requires removal of the tire from the rim for installation.

Here's a few pictures of those tire plugs, with a quarter for size comparison

Tyler

3ac1872c-daf1-42ef-b547-c2c200be3ed7_zps

024818e4-796b-44c2-a81d-489869f8070e_zps