Stroker

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At 183cm and 110kgs in gear, I feel To do the same lap times is harder work. You use your body to help turn,but at the same time you have to lever your mass back up and sometimes right over to the other side. The bigger you are, the longer the distance you body needs to travel and quicker as well. You squeeze legs harder under braking as youre holding/controlling more mass. I'm fitter and definitely stronger than my smaller fast mates on similar pace, but I'm more hammered after a session. Definitely more advantages than disadvantages for smaller riders.

Wrt Kallios comments, eg 5kg at low COG on a bike is easier than getting stronger to carry say a 5kg upper body weight. Mass centralization and all that.

Somewhere There will definitely be an optimum height weight tho.

My opinion on motogp, As they've implemented a low fuel limit, bike rider weight limit should be mandatory. More mass means more fuel usage

• 2 weeks later...

Good question and I get what you saying. For me putting down times towards the mid-top of an A-group is hard riding, keeping or gaining position requires smarter.

The continuing change in direction at the attached track beats me up no end. Sure I can ride quicker, easier than the average guy, but flat out I can't see how I can be more .. 'efficient'. I try be as smooth as possible as I have no electronic nannies. On similar machinery, I feel weight definitely plays a part in brake distances, brake forces and asks more of the tyres. Rider fatigue with continuous direction changes, moving myself off one side, over and onto the other, I don't see how it would be the same effort for a smaller lighter guy.

Insight and advice accepted

post-22512-0-50037000-1409171969_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A wise man once wrote about the $10 of attention we have while we ride. Do you think there are things you may be spending more attention than is needed on?

Mentally I'm fine.. It's the stop start tracks where I feel and see a difference because of weight. Look a 10kg difference might not make a diff but 20-30cannot be ignored. Hey maybe it's just fitness...

I have to agree with you on the fitness thing. A heavy fit rider does not spend as much attention or energy to get themselves positioned for the turn. A heavy unfit rider spends more attention and energy getting their body into position. It's a cascading problem too. The more tired they get the more attention it takes.

Ask me how I know. :)

Compounding that, I move my upper body quite a bit over.. Longer arms, bigger body = more work. Get tired I slow down to fast riders pace ;)

seems that some types of turns require more effort WRT body weight and vice versa ... (im thinking at least 3 types, heavy rider biased/ light rider biased/ neutral)

well it might explain why some tracks favor bigger riders and some smaller.

• 8 months later...

Crash.net:
What would you say has been the toughest thing? Was MotoGP how you imagined?

Loris Baz:
Mostly yes. I knew it was going to be hard and also I knew I just needed time. In Sepang 2 we were continuing to change the bike for my size, longer seat and things like this, while everyone else was working on set-up. If you don't have a good position on the bike it's hard to think about the set-up because you are not feeling comfortable.

Even at Le Mans we had another new, higher seat and I felt better again. My seat is now ten centimetres longer than Bradl's and six centimetres higher, and I weigh 20kg more than him. When you are 20kg heavier and a bike ten centimetres longer, it changes everything in the middle of the corner. Especially on this bike, you just change 1mm and it changes nearly everything!

So to change 20kg and ten centimetres you have to go to some settings that Ohlins, the crew chief and everybody have never used before because there are only small riders. So you have to fight and also Adrien, who has followed me for twelve years now, helped me. He can talk with the team because he knows me and he knows that we can go really far in the settings for me.

Crash.net:
So you've gone with your own settings?

Loris Baz:
Yeah. Really hard in the rear for example, but that's normal. Because I'm not fat, but I'm heavy!

Crash.net:
Has your size been much of a disadvantage? Where do you gain and where do you lose?

Loris Baz:
I lose in the straight and that's always been the case. But I was one of the guys that always braked hardest in Superbike and I think that's the same here. I think that's coming from my size. I have more wind resistance [when sitting up] that can help you to stop. Also my size can help in change of direction.

I've never seen my size as a disadvantage. You just have to work to adapt the bike. Marco Simoncelli was 1m 83-85. Honda believed in him, gave him the bike, did things like wind tunnel work with him. And he was fast. If you have a team that believes in you and supports you, you can be fast.