Knee Down Question (Again.....)

Hawk862

If i may, watching Moto3 gave me an idea of when it is useful to get your knee down and when you don't.They can't afford to stick their knee out for no reason as they would lose too much corner speed.Only on certain corners, they do and on some their legs are tucked right in despite carrying a " Knee Drag " worthy lean.

The use of getting your knee down is best demonstrated by Lorenzo IMO [ The cleanest shall we say, almost all GP riders do this ] He will have his knee out all the way even as he is just tipping in and say at 30 degrees lean.Then, His leg FOLDS inward as the bike leans fully and his knee will be tucked right under his elbow.

One variant can be observed at 30 sec ish and another at 40 sec ish in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPV5Lg9IN7Y

Really enjoying this thread guys and appreciate all the advice so far.

I think the advice about sorting out my body position before I start using excessive lean angle is spot on. A few of the members have pointed out that I should be turning my hips into the corners, ensuring my shoulder line and head position are correct and also check out my foot position (as sometimes my boot does scrape around the corner). Weather gods being kind I'm back on track on the 18th August so I'll attempt to address these issues and report back.

My one problem with dropping my head down though is that I seem to really be straining my eyes and my neck to keep myself looking ahead. Either way, what I'll concentrate on addressing on the 18th is:

1. Turning my hips into the corner

2. Keeping my head and shoulders in line with my back line

3. Keeping my foot up and in on the pegs a bit more

I'll report back once done and let you know how I get on..... (unless it's hammering down with rain like it usually does in the UK).

My one problem with dropping my head down though is that I seem to really be straining my eyes and my neck to keep myself looking ahead.

So. Tell us about your helmet. Most specifically how it fits. If you are getting neck strain you are likely having fit problems with your helmet due to the positioning of the eye port during turns.

What I find is that the helmet fits just fine, however if I drop my head too much I end up having to strain my eyes up to see ahead of me and also lift my neck up at the same time. My helmets not being restricted by my leathers or anything like that though and I have gotten a larger pinlock so that I'm not looking at my pinlock when I'm looking up.

Drop your inside elbow more.

I agree. Utilizing the "screwdriver handle" hold on the grip helps with this.

In regards to the helmet. If it's restricting your visibility or causing strain on your neck trying to get that visibility the fit can probably be improved upon. Here's a helpful video that Dylan did. It's helpful to "see" his demonstration.

A picture tells a thousand words (English isnt my mother tongue BTW)

Anyway I draw better than i type so heres my own personal intepretation of the discussion above:

20uet6t.jpg

I included 2 variables as lean angle and G-force are related but not mutually exclusive (ie banked / chambered / incline/ downhill stituations)

values with a "?" denotes that its a guesstimate and i have no research to back it up, just a hunch

Its in the rough so im open to suggestions ~

Ktk, I'm not entirely sure what your trying to demonstrate there , and how it applies to the thread, And I believe the relationship between Lean angle and Lateral acceleration is a TAN function so your plot shouldn't be linear

Opps, i was trying to reply to stroker's other post on the other thread ; sorry~