Tight Corners With Elevation Changes

StevenAthas

In the chapter on The Road We Ride in Twist 1 it talks about different aspects that make up the character of a road or track. You've mentioned uphill vs. downhill but not camber.

Imagine a 45° lean angle on flat ground. Now imagine the ground sloping away: off camber. In that situation would you roll on more or less aggressively?

Now imagine the reverse, the ground sloping towards you: you could have a 45°lean on a 45° on-camber slope. You would be 90°/perpendicular to the ground, effectively straight up and down. Would you be able to roll on more aggressively? Would you NEED to, in order keep the suspension from bottoming out?

Not sure if this is relevant to what you're perceiving in the corners you are talking about but I hadn't heard it mentioned and it could be a factor.

On an off camber road, I wouldn't roll on the gas as aggressively as I would in banked type corner because my contact patch would be greatly reduced. On an on-camber road, or a banked turn (kind of the same thing, right?) I could roll on the throttle much more aggressively because I'd have a large contact patch allowing my tires to grip far better. I can't imagine needing to roll the throttle on more aggressively through a banked turn because the centrifugal force would already be forcing the suspension downward. I could be wrong though. In Twist II, I was very surprised to learn that when we get on the throttle the back end actually lifts up.

The turn I'm talking about isn't cambered, but I'm happy to soak up as much knowledge as I possible can, so I appreciate you taking the time to respond.