Blip, Downshift With Brake Applied

StevenAthas

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thoughts guys.Myself - I will practice blipping and downshift without using the brakes first.Then i will lightly trail the brakes.Then, progressively get harder on them.Experimenting with grips, lever position, angles etc will help decided what is the optimum position to start at.Then, practice.

No point practicing with all your might on a bad set up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That, Sir is why you are who you are. That's exactly what I have so many problems with. Can't seem to keep the pressure on the lever as consistent as I want to. Still practicing this a lot..

Thank you as always for your input.

I like what Hotfoot said earlier on. I brake and use my thumb to blip. I think when I was first learning this, someone used an age-old quote: if you want to become great at something, do it 1,000 times. I was practicing it on the way to work every morning. It took a LONG TIME before I noticed I was blipping without any difficulty. It was on my EX-650, which is massively more difficult than on my ZX6. I'm going back to tracks I haven't ridden in years, and am noticing I blip without even doing it consciously.

There are some corners I'll let the slipper clutch take control. My issue with this is that it seems to dictate my speed when going into a corner. I can decide how fast I want to be going myself with braking and blipping.