Clutchless Shifts Demonstrated

faffi

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Tirumph, they're in the transmission case all the time anyway.. :P

Seriously though, watching what people do with racing machines (of 2 or 4 wheels) and applying that to a machine you don't want to tear down on a routine basis isn't a good idea.

Done properly, clutchless downshifts should bring no harm. I cannot do them properly, just enough to get me home without ruining anything if the clutch cable snaps. Under stress, like on a track? Forget it - way beyond my abilities.

You can always augment your inability with money aka aftermarket electronic quickshifters / TC (google bazazz TC FI) or the whole S1000R/ RR electronics suite (or a Honda with a DCT)

just sayin'

Being a Tirumph, they're in the transmission case all the time anyway.. :P

Seriously though, watching what people do with racing machines (of 2 or 4 wheels) and applying that to a machine you don't want to tear down on a routine basis isn't a good idea.

Eskimo,

As long as you don't try to force the shift lever when it doesn't want to go, you won't be harming your gearbox. It will slip into gear easily with little pressure when your timing/technique is right. If your timing/technique isn't right, it just won't go. You can only hurt things if you force the lever. If anything, clutchless shifting results in LESS wear and tear on the machine because you're not wearing the clutch so don't be afraid to experiment with it in the right environment (like an empty parking lot). Once you figure it out you'll spend almost zero attention on shifting/downshifting so learning it can pay huge dividends.

Cheers,

Benny

I find i can shift without the clutch so smoothly it is not even discernible.I find upshifting gears 1,2 and 3 are a little more difficult to do without a bit of a jerk in the low rpm's...like 3-4k rpm range.No problem with gears 4,5,6 are absolutely smooth.

In the higher RPM's, there is a bit of vibration in the bike so you can't make out the gear change in any gear.

With downshifts though, i have no problem changing into any gear without the clutch.However, the lower i go the more aggressive the engine braking gets.Especially shifting into 1st and 2nd gear all the way from 6th or 5 th produces some jerking as the the engine braking is very hard and kinda sudden.

Again i am on a 150 cc bike that puts out 15 hp....so i am sure those on bigger bikes will have no problems due to the speeds they could run in 1st and 2nd.

Done properly, clutchless downshifts should bring no harm. I cannot do them properly, just enough to get me home without ruining anything if the clutch cable snaps. Under stress, like on a track? Forget it - way beyond my abilities.

You can always augment your inability with money aka aftermarket electronic quickshifters / TC (google bazazz TC FI) or the whole S1000R/ RR electronics suite (or a Honda with a DCT)

just sayin'

I really see no need for this. Using the clutch doesn't take a cent from my dollar of attention, it's fully automated. The latest vogue in GP racing is clutchless downshifts, but I don't think it's electronically controlled? Honda has it and Yamaha seems close, but if it could be done with a simple electronic assist I believe it would have been done long time ago. Upshifts, yes, but downshifts needs more than cutting the ignition for a split second. Anyway, it's not a topic I lose any sleep over - I found the video interesting for the sound of the engine and then noticed how easily he downshifted through proper technique :)

just sayin'

I really see no need for this. Using the clutch doesn't take a cent from my dollar of attention, it's fully automated. The latest vogue in GP racing is clutchless downshifts, but I don't think it's electronically controlled? Honda has it and Yamaha seems close, but if it could be done with a simple electronic assist I believe it would have been done long time ago. Upshifts, yes, but downshifts needs more than cutting the ignition for a split second. Anyway, it's not a topic I lose any sleep over - I found the video interesting for the sound of the engine and then noticed how easily he downshifted through proper technique :)

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/news/undefined/news/2015-bmw-s1000rr-first-ride

GSA PRO baby~

Honda's DCT eliminates the need for shift (pun intended lol) if you engage its automated mode.

There was another thread on here recently about this. My '13 S1000RR has a flawless QS on it so upshifts on the track are never clutched. I'd say about 90+% of my downshifts are clutchless. That video I posted on here a while bike is all clutchless downshifts. It works very smoothly but my own personal challenge that I'll be focusing on this year at the track will be threshold braking while down shifting. I have a hard time keeping a constant brake pressure (and feel) while I'm blipping the throttle. It's a work in progress.

The word from Will was that to be careful not to preload the shifter too much/long before the shift as that can cause wear.

I have a hard time keeping a constant brake pressure (and feel) while I'm blipping the throttle. It's a work in progress.

I find using three fingers on the lever gives me a more consistent blip without upsetting the bike than two fingers.Guess more fingers mean more control for me?