Doing my first class 9/08/19

JasonSz

New to this school and this is going to be my first track school.  I'm flying into California for this class.  So I will be renting the bike (I already drive a S1000RR), leathers, and equipment.  

I have a couple questions if anyone knows.

Can I use my own helmet?  

If I can use my own helmet can I have a camera on the helmet? and should I remove all electronics from the helmet (ei. sena, the speakers and the like) I know I'm not using the Sena equipment but I think if I use my own helmet I should take out all the equipment.  Or should I just use the class helmet and be fine with it.

Is there anything I should bring with me that could help me with my first class ever? 

Take in mind that I'm flying out to California for this class.  So I can't carry to much with me. 

Thanks for all the help.

Yes you can use your own helmet as long as it is in good condition (not damaged) and is DOT or Snell approved, and is a full-face helmet. (If it is more than 5 years old, a school helmet would be a better idea from a safety standpoint.) As far as I know helmet cams are not allowed. The school helmets are Schuberth helmets and are very nice, BTW.

You don't need to bring much - a purpose-made underlayer like a riding undersuit, or UnderAmour, makes wearing leathers more comfortable, cooler, and easier to get on and off. The school has underlayer full suits and separate shirt/leggings for sale, or you can pick up UnderArmour at any sporting goods store.

Based on the date you mentioned, you must be coming to Streets of Willow. It will be hot during the day but can be surprisingly cool in the mornings (it can be 60 in the morning and 95 later in the day), you might want to bring a light jacket for the morning.

9 hours ago, Hotfoot said:

Yes you can use your own helmet as long as it is in good condition (not damaged) and is DOT or Snell approved, and is a full-face helmet. (If it is more than 5 years old, a school helmet would be a better idea from a safety standpoint.) As far as I know helmet cams are not allowed. The school helmets are Schuberth helmets and are very nice, BTW.

You don't need to bring much - a purpose-made underlayer like a riding undersuit, or UnderAmour, makes wearing leathers more comfortable, cooler, and easier to get on and off. The school has underlayer full suits and separate shirt/leggings for sale, or you can pick up UnderArmour at any sporting goods store.

Based on the date you mentioned, you must be coming to Streets of Willow. It will be hot during the day but can be surprisingly cool in the mornings (it can be 60 in the morning and 95 later in the day), you might want to bring a light jacket for the morning.

Thank you for all the information.  I will just leave my camera off the helmet.  Yes I'm going to be at Streets of Willow Springs.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2019 at 1:21 AM, Hotfoot said:

Yes you can use your own helmet as long as it is in good condition (not damaged) and is DOT or Snell approved, and is a full-face helmet.

Ironically, on another forum this morning there was a discussion about a user who purchased helmets designed for the Asian markets. He typically bought Arai and the sizes seemed to fit his head-shape well and he saved several hundred dollars per helmet. They wouldn't be DOT approved in the Asian market.

I've once purchased a helmet that was ECE approved but not SNELL (it was DOT approved BTW) and the organizer of the event that I was participating in specifically said all helmets must be SNELL approved; I know there was some debate a few years ago about the merits of each certification model. I'd imagine at the UK schools they would see more ECEs than we see on this side of the Atlantic.

I would again have no problem purchasing an ECE-only helmet. Does the school allow them?

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:16 AM, Jaybird180 said:

Ironically, on another forum this morning there was a discussion about a user who purchased helmets designed for the Asian markets. He typically bought Arai and the sizes seemed to fit his head-shape well and he saved several hundred dollars per helmet. They wouldn't be DOT approved in the Asian market.

I've once purchased a helmet that was ECE approved but not SNELL (it was DOT approved BTW) and the organizer of the event that I was participating in specifically said all helmets must be SNELL approved; I know there was some debate a few years ago about the merits of each certification model. I'd imagine at the UK schools they would see more ECEs than we see on this side of the Atlantic.

I would again have no problem purchasing an ECE-only helmet. Does the school allow them?

I can't answer your question, but I can tell you one thing. Snell approval is overrated. AFAIK, all it does is add $$$ to the cost of a helmet.

"They wouldn't be DOT approved in the Asian market."

They were probably not Snell approved either. That would account for the cost savings.

I wish we could tag someone in a post. I'd like to know the school's stance on this as well. I don't want to assume they would, even if an ECE approval is above the DOT standard.