Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Many might already know him, or of him.  This year (first year as a 14 year old AMA Pro racer) he won 14 of 17 races in the MotoAmerica Junior Cup.

Want to ask a pro racer a question, fire away!

I'll get them to him and his answer...who's gonna be first?

Best,

Cobie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the product endorsers really buying advertising space on the bikes or are you guys actually using their products to win races? Like parts and Motor Oils?

For example: there’s a rumor that Jardine put their badging on the Honda CBR600RR exhaust for the American Honda team’s Formula Extreme bike (about 2003-2005) but it was actually an Akrapovic exhaust.

How much funding comes from products and how much from team owners? Does a team owner really see a financial Return on the Investment or do they do it for the love of the sport? For example: allegedly Michael Jordan got out of team ownership in racing because of the financial losses.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Rocco -is there a particular corner (preferably one at a track CSS rides!) that you get through noticeably faster than other riders, and what do you perceive you do differently in that corner that works so well?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 4:52 AM, Jaybird180 said:

Are the product endorsers really buying advertising space on the bikes or are you guys actually using their products to win races? Like parts and Motor Oils?

For example: there’s a rumor that Jardine put their badging on the Honda CBR600RR exhaust for the American Honda team’s Formula Extreme bike (about 2003-2005) but it was actually an Akrapovic exhaust.

How much funding comes from products and how much from team owners? Does a team owner really see a financial Return on the Investment or do they do it for the love of the sport? For example: allegedly Michael Jordan got out of team ownership in racing because of the financial losses.

 

i use everything they put on my bike: oils, parts, suit, etc.

 

On the money side, ask my Dad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 9:57 AM, Hotfoot said:

Hey Rocco -is there a particular corner (preferably one at a track CSS rides!) that you get through noticeably faster than other riders, and what do you perceive you do differently in that corner that works so well?

Leaning over further, carry more corner speed, off the brake lever earlier.  Basically doing the same thing, maybe a little bit sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cobie Fair said:

i use everything they put on my bike: oils, parts, suit, etc.

 

On the money side, ask my Dad

Clearly I read the OP too fast. And since RE-reading it, I see now how the answer totally FITS.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rocco: when you rode the 400 this year, how many of the tracks were new to you?  How long on average did it take you to learn a new track, and what would you do to do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would you say is the skill/thought process/etc. you get the biggest benefit from focusing on -- either for training/practice or in/around a race?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rocco,

Congratulations on your Junior Cup Championship and on winning your spot in Europe at the Rookies Cup next year!!!

A few questions if I may:

What is your primary motivation for racing - is just purely fun and exciting, is it to become an elite champion - ultimately, why do you race?

Be it in practice or in a race, is there a challenge you consistently face on the track? If so, how do you overcome it?

Finally, do you set goals for each season, if so, could you share those for 2020?

 

 

PS Thanks for doing this Cobie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry all, I was out of town on vacation, and just let this drop!  I'll get with Rocco in the next day, get answers!

CF

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 4:50 PM, Cobie Fair said:

Rocco: when you rode the 400 this year, how many of the tracks were new to you?  How long on average did it take you to learn a new track, and what would you do to do that?

Rocco's answers:

Atlanta, VIR, Road America, Utah, Sonoma, Pittsburgh were all new.  

As for learning it:  "I don't know, maybe 10 laps.  Road America, maybe 5 laps.  Sonoma I learned it in qualifying, qualified 3rd."

Reference points helped me out a lot, and like taking a photograph of the corner in my head.  And I'd always do 2 laps slow, like not even drag a knee." 

-------

I'll track Rocco down, and get the other questions answered.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing tracking down a 14 year old, while at the same time I'm near a computer!   Can you say "I don't like thumb typing that much"?

Yes, I'm dating myself and showing my preferences!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 11:29 PM, yakaru said:

What would you say is the skill/thought process/etc. you get the biggest benefit from focusing on -- either for training/practice or in/around a race?

If a track I don't know well, learn it first. 

I usually go with a purpose, like some kind of testing.  If just a track day, I usually focus on a visual skill, body position, or trying a different line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, El Colibri said:

Rocco,

Congratulations on your Junior Cup Championship and on winning your spot in Europe at the Rookies Cup next year!!!

A few questions if I may:

What is your primary motivation for racing - is just purely fun and exciting, is it to become an elite champion - ultimately, why do you race?

Be it in practice or in a race, is there a challenge you consistently face on the track? If so, how do you overcome it?

Finally, do you set goals for each season, if so, could you share those for 2020?

----

The main reason is I like the competition.  

If you come to the racetrack and if you aren't having fun, there must be something wrong with you!

As for challenges, depends on the track.  This year it was learning tracks.  Like Sonoma, I had one 25 minute session on track before the race to learn the track.

As for goals: I don't set goals, I do best when I ride relaxed, that's when I do best.  If I set goals, I get tense.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...