53Driver

Barber Motorsports Park May 2020

Yes, SO looking forward to not riding a desk for a while :).

• Like 1

Extended forecast appears to suck, rain. I hear it all the time, that is the best time to learn, but no thanks for me. I don't need to add another SR to the first time on the track with a bike. Add to that, being on a rented bike that I don't know, and if you go down is going to be expensive. 

I've been on a wet track many times before, but on my track car. Driving on a wet track is still pretty scary on 4 wheels, can't imagine on 2. Reasons I avoid riding in the rain.

Crossing fingers for a better forecast and a safe event for all.

It is very typical at Barber to have the forecast look terrible but actually not have it rain for long at all. It's typical in the area for an afternoon shower come through, in the summer. Trevor watches the radar carefully and manages the time to get as much dry track time as possible (if rain is expected in late afternoon he will run shorter breaks between rides, etc. to get as much dry riding time as possible in case the rain arrives before 5pm). Often at Barber we can complete our whole day before the late afternoon rain arrives. I go to Barber every year, and every year I think the forecast looks terrible but then most days we either don't get rain until the very end of the day (often after we are done riding) or it rains just for one session and stops.

It IS true that riding in the rain can be a fantastic learning experience! Imagine what a win it is to turn it from a scary sounding experience into real competence  - and confidence -riding in rain! It sounds like you have not ridden with us before, please know what we will NOT push you to ride above your comfort level, and your coach will help you understand what is a reasonable pace in the rain - which really does involve slowing down a whole lot, especially at first. The real key is to not put pressure on YOURSELF to think you have to go fast (raining or not!), we are a school and we want you to start at your comfort level and build up from there. It's almost certain you won't be the only person there on a track for the first time, or on a sportbike for the first time, or - if it is raining - riding in the rain for the first time.

Which days are you signed up for?

I am signed for the 2 day course and yes, first time ever on the track on a bike. I do understand the pressure some people put on themselves, but believe me, I have no ego to bruise. If I am not feeling right riding in the rain, I'll sit out the session. No biggie.  

I want to make it intact for my 60 B'day a few days after.  😉

Red Baron - this is my first time with CSS, as well on a "super" bike, as well as on a track. 

Been watching the forecast too.  The little pop-ups that Hotfoot describes are so anti-climactic to what I remember from Texas.  With these Southeastern storms, you literally wait 10 minutes and the sky is clear again.   I think actually having the the partial cloud cover is going to keep us from 'cooking' on the asphalt.   

When I coach the MSF curricula, I often find myself saying "If it ain't raining, we ain't training."

That being said, you will NOT see me challenging the conditions.  I made it to 57, and I am going to behave - at least well enough - to make it 75.  Let's enjoy this together!

Cheers,
Steve

On 5/12/2020 at 7:07 AM, yakaru said:

Ugh, I'm so sad I'm missing this but budget is taken up among other things this year :(

Yakaru - I'm sorry as well.  I was looking forward to meeting you, but yes, budgets do dictate operations.

Maybe I'll get the budget next year to head out to Cali.   Cheers!

Heading North!  

Another Great Adventure starts today!

Well, I made it!

Made some "new best friends" in the paddock area.

Met Coach Johnny Haynes.

Met Keith Code.

Let the fun begin!

Cheers,

Steve

Great you made it safe.

I will be there Tuesday afternoon around 6pm at The Hampton's hotel across the track.

Just heard from the crew, another excellent day at Barber.  I think we ended up with 4 of the 6 days dry, very few issues, and folks glad to be out and on a racetrack!

I have no words to describe my experience and how much fun it was this past week, at the Barber Motorsport track.

The weather cooperated, the coaching was amazing, class teaching clear and easy to follow, great organization staff, great crowd of students, everyone improved their riding skills/ability and all under a safe and none threatening environment. Listening from Hot Foot the story on how she came up with her screen name was incredible and crazy.  

Meeting and talking to Keith Code.... Priceless!!!

Kudos to everyone at CSS and the maintenance staff at Barber.

See you all again first weekend of October in Vegas. I wanted to be the Halloween weekend, but could coordinate it with other business.