Re-entry Bike Selection

A few years back I took the MSF class and bought a street bike (small 250cc)--road it for a year. But got rid of it after moving to a more populated area (too much traffic--didn't know my way around.)

I plan to take the basic MSF again this month, followed by Level I in 2 more months. Should I wait until after Level I to purchase a bike? i.e. Will riding the class bike around the track, learning more about cornering, etc., help me decide what to look for in a bike? Or should I just go out and buy something now?

(Also, I could get something used/generic -- older Suzuki SV 650? just to use between the MSF and deciding what I really want.)

-C

• 2 weeks later...

Celeste,

I would wait. You may find that being on a track may tilt you toward wanting more of a cafe-racer style bike or the other way.

You mentioned the SV650 which are very popular on the track and street, so if you HAD to have a bike, that's a good choice.

Good luck!

A few years back I took the MSF class and bought a street bike (small 250cc)--road it for a year. But got rid of it after moving to a more populated area (too much traffic--didn't know my way around.)

I plan to take the basic MSF again this month, followed by Level I in 2 more months. Should I wait until after Level I to purchase a bike? i.e. Will riding the class bike around the track, learning more about cornering, etc., help me decide what to look for in a bike? Or should I just go out and buy something now?

(Also, I could get something used/generic -- older Suzuki SV 650? just to use between the MSF and deciding what I really want.)

-C

I would certainly want to be riding SOMETHING on a regular basis before attending a school session. Showing up to ride a school "cold" doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Too much time and attention would be spent just getting comfortable riding again.

Not only will it keep you "fresh", but, riding something/anything will give you more data from which to make future decisions about what sort of bike is right for you. It doesn't have to be "THE" bike, just a bike for now. I've never owned or ridden the SV650, but, I think that model is a good choice for broad usage. Sporty and fun...so I'm told. I know they motor my FZR400 at the track. <_<

In any case, you can always sell it and buy something different. Or keep it and get something different. :P