Relative Fitness Levels Required

I've decided to come to the school again this year, but I'm a little split on the single days (back-back) or the 2-day camp and the deciding factor is confidence in my fitness level to be able to leverage the extra track time, coaching, etc that the camp offers. This would be my first camp.

My norm has been to feel a bit tired by about day 1.5 during a normal back to back 1-day school. And honestly, it wasn't until about that point that I'd settled into a personal rhythm where I didn't feel like I was running from session to session or track to classroom to track. I recall my last school went better, because I went into it with a mindset to slow down (off track) and after day 2 I wasn't so tired as I'd been at previous schools.

Looking for some guidance here. Does the camp require a higher physical fitness and/or mental endurance? 

With the camps, you have more sessions and a little less down time between sessions. That said I wouldn’t say camps *require* a higher level of physical fitness. 

Off track training and conditioning helps tremendously. Even if you just do a week of it before your school, it will help. At the minimum, stretching- being limber will help a lot with fatigue and muscle recovery. I add to that cycling and Pilates. With cycling you obviously need a bike/stationary. Pilates = core strengthening exercises that help tremendously with the correct body positions and braking required on the track. There are numerous exercises that can be done without a Pilates reformer or equipment - free YouTube videos can help you with that. 

At the minimum, stay hydrated and do some stretching before and after your track day. I also add/take branched chain Amino acids (BCAA) daily, they help with muscle recovery. You can find them via online retailers or at your local dietary supplement store.  

I know you already made your decision but for the sake of others that read this, I agree that the two day camps require a better level of fitness. More riding sessions and you don’t have the 15-20 min break between classroom and riding session, you go right from class to track. It’s GREAT for maximizing riding time but some folks do get a little tired. :)

No, I know you are half kidding but I’ll answer anyway. The ride sessions are just the right length; as long as you drink water (or hydration drinks like Skratch) between rides you’ll be ok, but a cool underlayer REALLY helps on hot days. 

Students generally get tired in their legs and core, so quad exercises and Thighmaster type machines to prepare are a good idea, and some core exercises, and also being patient in your first rides so you are not pushing yourself too hard mentally, help a lot to have the stamina to ride all day both days. 

Sometimes I find that the camps are easier -- the breaks can be welcome but humans tend to have the ability for endurance to persist as long as needed. Without breaks my body never finds the time to "let itself be tired", whereas with regular schools sometimes the breaks, especially on a hot day, can cause the desire to cat nap. But obviously in the end the actual requirements for the camps are higher and Hotfoot's suggestions are spot on -- ramp up evenly, hydrate, eat rationally and you'll be good; if you work on endurance as well as upper leg and core muscles you'll be golden.

Come on now Jay, you are a Taekwondo practitioner and they use a lot of leg kicking. So you are fit for the 2 day school. Take it from a Karate and BJJ practitioner, plus 61 healthy years young. Stretch, hydrate and have fun.

Are you by any chance doing Barber in a few weeks?

I signed up for a single day camp and a 2 day camp.

6 hours ago, Red_Baron said:

Come on now Jay, you are a Taekwondo practitioner and they use a lot of leg kicking. So you are fit for the 2 day school. Take it from a Karate and BJJ practitioner, plus 61 healthy years young. Stretch, hydrate and have fun.

Are you by any chance doing Barber in a few weeks?

I signed up for a single day camp and a 2 day camp.

Oh yeah, rub it in my face 😂.

I just reached out to my coach. Time to get back to training. Thank you.

I've heard nothing but great things about Barber. I'm doing NJMP.

Come back and tell us your experience at NJMP.

If you meet Barry Sharpe, he is one of the coaches and a Kung Fu practitioner too. Try to meet him, he is very nice like all other coaches from the CSS.

OSS!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to rewatch T2 video and a lightbulb turned on (hope it doesn't dim later HAHAHAHA). SR#2 might be to blame for my tired. I also discovered on my last ride, that I do a weird thing with my feet sometimes: pull my toes up, which can be fatiguing. @Hotfoot, I have no idea how a coach might spot that one 😳, but I can see how it can cause a lower body stability problem. Once I get it sorted, I'm sure it will go a long way toward better endurance and better cornering all around.

I recently changed back to putting my instep on the peg. I get better tank-knee contact, less leg fatigue and better blood circulation. The downside is the toe up thing, and I need to move my brake lever to accommodate.

I was previously led to believe that ball of toes was “the right way” and I’d been doing that for about the last 10yrs. Switching was tough but I think I can do it, once I move the brake lever and make sure I keep my feet in-line with the bike.