Tall Rider, Short Bikes?

Guest Rick

<_< I just signed up for two days in May at the Poconos. I've never ridden anything like the ZX-6R, but I want to give it a try. I'm comfortable on my ST1100 and wondering where I put 6'3" and 200lbs. on one of these bikes? My ST did remarkable last Sept. at VIR in a different school, but I pushed it to the limits and was out of tire and wearing the peg scrapers down. I'm just not sure about ridding one of these little "super bikes"!!

<_< I just signed up for two days in May at the Poconos. I've never ridden anything like the ZX-6R, but I want to give it a try. I'm comfortable on my ST1100 and wondering where I put 6'3" and 200lbs. on one of these bikes? My ST did remarkable last Sept. at VIR in a different school, but I pushed it to the limits and was out of tire and wearing the peg scrapers down. I'm just not sure about ridding one of these little "super bikes"!!

I have the same question... in a sort.

I am 6'5" tall at 220 and I have rode an R6 for the past year, for racing, now I went to the CBR600rr... I feel like a big kid on a pocket bike.

any advise?

I have the same question... in a sort.

I am 6'5" tall at 220 and I have rode an R6 for the past year, for racing, now I went to the CBR600rr... I feel like a big kid on a pocket bike.

any advise?

Mark:

I kinda get the feeling from the lack of responses that.....there aren't any! I'm going to give it try in May and hope my neck and old knees don't give up on me!

Thanks,

Rick

Any sportbike is gonna be a challenge for a tall rider to adjust to. In that respect, the ZX-6R (at least the ones they were using last year) wasn't too bad.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little tight on it, and the biggest problem was that I felt planted on the bike ( I couldn't move my weight around on it very well), but it doesn't interfere with the level 1 drills at all. In fact, it may have helped, given that I wasn't trying to hang off and was focused on the exercises.

And from what I understand, Level 2 is dealing mostly with vision skills, so I can't imagine much of a problem there either. You should be fine...and if you're doing a 2-dayer, you'll probably be well-adjusted by the end.

I'm 6'5 250# by the way.

Any sportbike is gonna be a challenge for a tall rider to adjust to. In that respect, the ZX-6R (at least the ones they were using last year) wasn't too bad.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little tight on it, and the biggest problem was that I felt planted on the bike ( I couldn't move my weight around on it very well), but it doesn't interfere with the level 1 drills at all. In fact, it may have helped, given that I wasn't trying to hang off and was focused on the exercises.

And from what I understand, Level 2 is dealing mostly with vision skills, so I can't imagine much of a problem there either. You should be fine...and if you're doing a 2-dayer, you'll probably be well-adjusted by the end.

I'm 6'5 250# by the way.

I appreciate your response. I recently had the "pleasure" of riding an RC51 for a short time. I've never ridden something so twichy, and my neck was hurting from trying to look straight ahead. I guess you get used to the riding position on these crotch rockets, and I'm hopng that doing corners will be more suited for what the bike is designed to do.

So are us normal sized guys doomed to STs, Wings and FJRs?

Thanks,

Rick

Guest Guest_Gary_*

I'm 6'5 250# by the way.

I appreciate your response. I recently had the "pleasure" of riding an RC51 for a short time. I've never ridden something so twichy, and my neck was hurting from trying to look straight ahead. I guess you get used to the riding position on these crotch rockets, and I'm hopng that doing corners will be more suited for what the bike is designed to do.

Thanks,

Rick

Thought I would add my 2 cents worth being 6'5" and 220 lbs, and I did level 1 last year.

The bikes are a little tight but once you're on out on the track doing the exercises you quickly forget about the size after the first couple of times out.

For me the bikes were a lot of fun, and indeed they are made to turn, looking forward to Level 2 this year.

For reference my bike are a Triumph Sprint RS and BMW R1150GS

I'm 6'5 250# by the way.

Thanks,

Rick

Thought I would add my 2 cents worth being 6'5" and 220 lbs, and I did level 1 last year.

The bikes are a little tight but once you're on out on the track doing the exercises you quickly forget about the size after the first couple of times out.

For me the bikes were a lot of fun, and indeed they are made to turn, looking forward to Level 2 this year.

For reference my bike are a Triumph Sprint RS and BMW R1150GS

Thanks Gary.....since you're taller than me, it gives me hope of a good time. I've been riding for about 36 years and did my first track day last September at VIR. I had a blast on my old ST1100 and learned some new ideas. My goal is to keep on learning. I'll be out of my box ridding one of these things, but I'm really looking forward to the two days. Your response is appreciated and valuable info for me!!!

G'day Guy's, good to hear from some of our larger riders, down here in OZ we also ride tiny sportbikes, we have GSXR600's and 750's (same dimensions), at 6'1 and 215 I have no trouble coaching on the 600's or 750's. What you say about body posistion through levels 1 & 2 is spot on, but when we get to level 3 then we start using our size to our advantage. Level 3 we talk about moving around on the bike both from side to side and how we use our upper body to assist with cornering and how that movement affects our lines. The bikes are small but still designed to reward people of our height. The pocket rockets are a lot of fun and we don't need to be stuck on sports tourers, we just need to learn the right techniques to ride them properly!!!... Goodluck guy's...Cheers, Andy

Hi there, I'm a little over 6 foot and regularly ride my wife's zx636. The most important things to remember on any bike, keep your butt well back against the back of the seat, lock in with your knees on the tank, don't get more than a butt cheek off at a time and use your upper body from waist up to move your weight around off the bike. You will fit, enjoy the ZX6, its awesome