• Laguna
    • Thunderhill
    • Sears
    • Blackhawk
    • Watkins
    • VIR
    • North Florida
    • Mid Ohio

I've raced Grattan both directions, I believe they still do.

Favorite track...hmmm. What day of the week is it?. They're all good, mate.

For surface quality: Putnam Park.

For layout: Mid-Ohio, Grattan (before they widened it, heh-heh), anything very technical, off-camber and with elevation changes.(advantages for the thinking man)

For outright adrenalin/speed rush: Daytona, Pocono highbanks clockwise, Bridgehampton, Road Atlanta with gravity cavity intact (trying to carry the front wheel out from under the bridge and down the hill like Keith on a 250)

For the "This is SO COOL, I can't believe I'm on course with Pierfrancesco Chili, and my girlfriend is watching me on the jumbotron" factor: Definitely Laguna Seca.

For sunsets that last forever and just to claim the southernmost ride on the planet: Teretonga, Invercargill, NZ. (unless there's a track on Tierra del Fuego)

For the best miniature golf course walking distance from the track: Ruapuna, Christchurch, NZ.

OK, it's late, I'm getting silly.

Tracks I'd most like to race or even ride: Brands Hatch (on a duc) Catalunya (on a GP bike), Suzuka (on anything). And the full length version of Manfeild, NZ that was run for the world superbikes (just for posterity). How can I pick just one? Oops, I didn't mention anything in OZ. :P Of course, Monaco in a F1 car sounds pretty cool, too. Oh... how could I forget the Isle of Man?

• 1 month later...

Squid, I ran grattan last year and liked the challenge of it, but hated the surface... THe layout was too great. If it was repaved completely, it would be a fantastic track. Until then, I'll pass...

Blind corners are the absolute best. Why? Because they FORCE you to use a reference point, every single time, no cheating, no sneaking. Now if I could just pretend ALL corners were blind..... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
QUOTE (YZFR1Freak @ Nov 22 2003, 06:38 AM)

BTW, I'm moving to Missouri. Does anyone know of any tracks near the southern part of Missouri?

QUOTE (Motorthings @ Dec 17 2003, 04:34 PM)

not much in/near missouri i'm afraid...gateway international is in e stl, but it is not set up well for cycles at all (too many walls, sub-par layout, and awkward transition to the banked section. putnam park is a great track and is only 3.5 hrs east of st louis, IRP is half an hour farther (but nowhere near as fun). Blackhawk is up past chicago, so around 5.5 hours from stl. But i have absolutely no problem with taking the longer 8 hour drive to get to Barber. Of the 8 or so tracks i have ridden on, Barber Motorsports just outside of Birmingham is far and away the most fun (and smoothest) tracks i have been on.

Sorry, couldn't use the buttons, had to do it the old fashioned way, copy and paste. I am responding due to a narrow response from Motorthings. Depending on where in southern Missori, there are a couple that are moderately close, but you will have to figure your own driving time since I don't believe in assuming Missouri means close to St. Louis.

Heartland Park In Topeka,KS

Hallet, which is just outside Tulsa, OK

Mid-America Motorplex, 15 miles south of Omaha,NE

Motorsports Ranch, 30 min west of Ft. Worth

Another in College Station, Tx, but can't remember the name.

Hope this helps

Texas World Speedway is the track in College Station. I haven't ridden there but I hear alot of the AMA riders around here don't like it for several reasons. Surface in poor condition. Pot holes with grass growing through right in the sweet line. The owners have been reported to be less than acomodating to riders.( Not sure how they treat drivers) And several safety issues. I believe it's 8a that killed or seriously mamed someone last season(could have been avoided). $10,000 to fix 8a and all contractor services have been offered free of charge. So $00,000 to fix a death trap corner. BTW I've only ridden MSR, but It's nice and safe as a race track can be i guess. MSR was a 1.7 mile, 11 turn technical course but, they're almost finished making it a 4.4 mile course. I can't wait!!!

Soooo I vote Motor Sport Ranch in Cresson Texas

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I would have to say Mid Ohio since its been resurfaced is one of the best tracks in the US. Elevation changes, fast corners, tight slow corners, +/- camber, blind turns, a little bit of everything. Only it's not so fun in the wet with the seam sealer being realy slick.

OToole

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess I have to date myself by saying that the old Laguna Seca was fast and scarey as was Bridgehampton in New York. At Bridgehampton holding the throttle pegged til the bridge would make the suspenion so light it seemed like you were flying all the way down the hill. That was a good thing because the track was so bumpy.

I dont have loads of track experience like most of you guys but my favourite track is the nurburgring nordshliefe in germany, its 14 miles long with 73 corners. they used to hold gp's on it, I have a dvd of Kenny Roberts winning world titles there in 1978 and 1980. It can be very dangerous now as there are bikes, cars and even tour buses on at the same time,

The track I most want to ride is laguna seca, my favourite gp track, the corkscrew just looks amazing, hopefully Nicky Hayden can get back on form there this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I dont have loads of track experience like most of you guys but my favourite track is the nurburgring nordshliefe in germany, its 14 miles long with 73 corners. they used to hold gp's on it, I have a dvd of Kenny Roberts winning world titles there in 1978 and 1980.

Riding the Nurburgring north loop (nordshliefe?) on any race bike and breaking the "century" (100 mph average) racing a 125 at the Isle of Man are among the top ten of my "must do before I die" list (along with orbiting Earth in a spaceship). I really envy riders who live close enough to make studying The Ring and Isle of Man an ongoing life-long project.

I dont have loads of track experience like most of you guys but my favourite track is the nurburgring nordshliefe in germany, its 14 miles long with 73 corners. they used to hold gp's on it, I have a dvd of Kenny Roberts winning world titles there in 1978 and 1980.

Riding the Nurburgring north loop (nordshliefe?) on any race bike and breaking the "century" (100 mph average) racing a 125 at the Isle of Man are among the top ten of my "must do before I die" list (along with orbiting Earth in a spaceship). I really envy riders who live close enough to make studying The Ring and Isle of Man an ongoing life-long project.

Hi Racer

Riding the Nurburgring north loop (nordshliefe? German for north loop apparently, but it is what they call it there anyway!) is the biggest buzz ever though I dont think I would ever be able to to hit a 100mph average round it but then I am not a racer, only a road rider and I do it on my road bike just for fun, the crazy thing about the ring is that they let anything on during tourist days. I have went into a blind corner to see a tour bus doing 25 mph in front of me, I have also seen cars blow there engines and leave an oil slick running for about half a mile down the track, it can be very scary at times and for sure is not the place to commit 100% unless you are lucky enough to be a racer and get the ring for yourself.

I have never been to the Isle of man so cannot comment on that, though it looks amazing on tv!

I wish I had more time on my hands to try the isle of man but I travel to the ring with friends every year and now that I have discovered the CSS I will be focusing on that, going to book level 1 this week after reading the books (twist 1 and 2 and soft science) I am obsessed with learning more and doing all the levels, I want to become the best I can be.

Alot of people here ride what you call literbikes(1000cc) because they are the fastest thing out there, and I want to develop my skills so that i can

pass a few of them on the track on my cbr600rr so back to the subject, I will be traveling to the nurburgring this year with level 1 under my belt and

once I have done level 1 I will have another track to comment on, Rockingham (UK).

cheers

B

The 100 mph average is a common goal for racers at the Isle of Man races. I did not intend to connect it with Nurburgring tourist days. Sorry for for the misunderstanding. Ithought they used to have dyas where just bikes were allowed to ride the Ring. It's too bad if they don't. Bummer.

The 100 mph average is a common goal for racers at the Isle of Man races. I did not intend to connect it with Nurburgring tourist days. Sorry for for the misunderstanding. Ithought they used to have dyas where just bikes were allowed to ride the Ring. It's too bad if they don't. Bummer.

to be honest I`m not sure if they hold bike only track days at the nurburgring, I think I will look into that, I have always just turned up on tourist days and went on then for a bit of fun.

I understand the 100mph average at the Isle Of Man is a common goal, Wow what corner speed the guys must carry to acheive that is unbelievable to me. the 130 mph average was set last year so competition is going to be great this year.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of Nurburgring...

I just finished watching the world superbike races from today and all I can say is... WOW!!!

Haga, Corser, Bayliss, Checa, Biaggi, Xaus... what a show!! Did anyone else catch race two?

What a shame the rain came so hard. Corser really had the momentum in race two. I think he would have won if it had gone full distance. Or even if scoring didn't revert to the last lap on a red flag as he was in the lead when the race was finally called. And how cool that would have been as he was the last rider to win at the 'Ring in '99. Really great to see Corser at the front with a belly full of bully!

Um... I didn't see anyone "locking on" with a calf raise. (Just to make this post belong on the school site... :P )

Speaking of Nurburgring...

I just finished watching the world superbike races from today and all I can say is... WOW!!!

Haga, Corser, Bayliss, Checa, Biaggi, Xaus... what a show!! Did anyone else catch race two?

What a shame the rain came so hard. Corser really had the momentum in race two. I think he would have won if it had gone full distance. Or even if scoring didn't revert to the last lap on a red flag as he was in the lead when the race was finally called. And how cool that would have been as he was the last rider to win at the 'Ring in '99. Really great to see Corser at the front with a belly full of bully!

I have not seen the race yet wil watch it soon!

Um... I didn't see anyone "locking on" with a calf raise. (Just to make this post belong on the school site... :P )

Since I have read the twist books and have booked for school I am always looking at racers styles now with interest to see what they are doing and when they do it and with some I think the calf raise is done so smoothly its hard to notice it also seems as though the pros anchor on with there inner thigh rather than the knee! The one thing I notice the most is how far some of them seem to roll into the turn on what seems to be a closed throttle but I suppose for some they will still be on the brakes at this point!

I went to the moto gp at Catilunia in spain last week and watched thomas luthi and his style is very smooth and fast, the whole weekend was great!

I went to the moto gp at Catilunia in spain last week and watched thomas luthi and his style is very smooth and fast, the whole weekend was great!

Wow... MotoGP at Catalunya. I am so envious.

I'm hoping to find a way to attend the MotoGP at Indianapolis this year. I'm afraid I'll have to choose between CSS and AMA Superbikes at Mid-Ohio and the GP at Indy.

Wow... MotoGP at Catalunya. I am so envious.

I'm hoping to find a way to attend the MotoGP at Indianapolis this year. I'm afraid I'll have to choose between CSS and AMA Superbikes at Mid-Ohio and the GP at Indy.

I think the smart chioce would be CSS + AMA at Mid-Ohio and watch Motogp on tv, My girlfriend and myself love motogp so try to time our summer holiday (vacation) in with one every year, hopefully Mugello next year,

Ben Spies is ridind the Suzuki here at Donington park this weekend in place of Caparossi which Ithink will be very interesting as this will give him time to get used to the bike and setup in preperation for his wildcard rides at Laguna and Indy, though I would like to see Nicky Hayden get back on the podium.

I think the smart chioce would be CSS + AMA at Mid-Ohio and watch Motogp on tv

Yeah, I think I'd have to agree.

Ben Spies is ridind the Suzuki here at Donington park this weekend in place of Caparossi which Ithink will be very interesting as this will give him time to get used to the bike and setup in preperation for his wildcard rides at Laguna and Indy, though I would like to see Nicky Hayden get back on the podium.

Indeed. I'd really like to see Nicky back on top of the podium again. I think he has another good chance at his "home track" Laguna. Indy will be a new track for everyone.

I think the smart chioce would be CSS + AMA at Mid-Ohio and watch Motogp on tv

Yeah, I think I'd have to agree.

Indeed. I'd really like to see Nicky back on top of the podium again. I think he has another good chance at his "home track" Laguna. Indy will be a new track for everyone.

yeah Nicky is always good at laguna, he got the pnumatic valve engine this weekend and has qualified 4th so hopefully he can turn it into a podium tomorrow also Ben Spies has qualified 8th in front of Pedrosa in the wet at a track he has never riden before WOW! Could upset a few of the regulars!

yeah Nicky is always good at laguna, he got the pnumatic valve engine this weekend and has qualified 4th so hopefully he can turn it into a podium tomorrow also Ben Spies has qualified 8th in front of Pedrosa in the wet at a track he has never riden before WOW! Could upset a few of the regulars!

I just downloaded and watched the qualifying from Britain today (British Euro-Sport) and Ben Spies looked freaking phenomenal sliding around like he was at his home track and running as high as 5th at one point! And forget a track he's never seen, this is his first time ever on the bike after like half a day testing on a different bike at Valencia(?) months ago! WOW!

• 6 months later...
Favorite race track? All except one.

- Phillip Island (Australia)

- Eastern Creek (Australia)

- Sepang (Malaysia)

- Laguna (USA)

- VIR (USA)

- Broadford (Australia) - Favorite instructing track

- Bira International (Thailand)

- Putnam Park (USA)

- Wakefield (Australia)

- Mid Ohio (USA)

- Winton (Australia)

- Batungas (Philippines)

- Mallala (Australia)

- Oran Park (Australia)

- Sandown (Australia)

- Pikes Peak (USA)

- Subic (Philippines) * The only track I don't like for safety reasons.

(Yes - I am an Aussie :D )

Just adding Bira International in Thailand

Cheers