Once I Get Past A Certain Lean-angle, The Bike Wants To Keep On Leanin

squirrels

Guys---those tire pressures are for legal reasons. They are WAY too high for regular or track riding. They have to put those up there in case a person has the bike loaded to the hilt, heavy riders with baggage, and they want to make sure the tire won't be underinflated.

Here is the ball park range: 28 rear--33 front. We run 29 rear and 31 front on our race tires. Michelin has one race tire that they run at 22 rear!!!!

Even the Qualifiers we run at 28 rear, 30 front on our school bikes. On a very hot day maybe a little higher, like 1 or 2 pounds.

There is another area that many are not aware off: tire guages. I have seen a tire guage dropped once and go 5 pounds off!

Best thing is to get a decent guage and check it against one of the factory guages at the track, then store that guage and use your day to day guage (checking against the "good one" now and again.

I'm not saying these are perfect for every tire/every manufacturer, but this is what we run and we normally see tire pressures way too high. Too high just schinks the contact patch.

Best,

CF

• 2 months later...
The reason I haven't monkeyed with the stock suspension settings is because 1) I have no idea what I'm doing, and 2), more importantly, from what I've read, the stock SPRINGS don't have the correct spring rate to support a rider of my weight. I posted a thread a little while back in the set-up forum about it...you responded. But I don't currently have the money to replace the stock springs. From what I've heard, the most I can do is crank up the preload, but that would take the travel out of the suspension, essentially eliminating its function.

I'm worried about having to dial in so much preload that the suspension will end up bottoming/topping way too easily...but I cant' afford a new suspension.

I have owned several bikes and helped a few friends adjust the sag on their bikes as well. I have never seen a modernish motorcycle that had enough preload adjustment range in the stock shock to "take the travel out of the suspension." The only way that could happen is if you cranked it down so far that the spring bottomed out on itself before the shock bottomed out against its own bottom out stop. But, the prelaod adjustment on any stock shock that I've seen was way too limited to come anywhere near allowing that to happen. I haven't seen the stock shock on every bike but I seriously doubt that the stock shock on a bike as popular as a 2006 R1 is going to allow you to take the preload anywhere near the danger zone in either direction.

I helped 2 friends that were around 200 pounds adjust the sag on their bikes. One had a fairly late model R6, and the other had a YZF600R. Both were using stock shocks. For both of them we had to crank the preload on the shock all the way down and they still had 1.5 inches of sag or more. On my YZF600R that I used to have, I used to run the stock shock preload cranked all the way to the max, that gave me about 1.25 inches of sag, and I weight only 150.

I have also experienced the exact behavior you describe due to worn out tires or just when getting used to a different model of tire that has a different profile. I used to go through 2 rear tires for every 1 front tire when just street riding. But I got sick of fighting with the bike in the curves due to the flat spots on the front tire so lately I just end up replacing the front one along with the rear even though the front still has tread left on it.

These guys are all giving sound advice. Its not advice, its what YOU need to do!

Riding a bike without even setting the sags can be difficult and unnerving. A good friend of mine has an 04 R1, didnt want to touch his suspension even though I said I will do everything, all he has to do is sit there. Didnt want to have a bar of it. It was actually a trust issue and I said to him we will note the current settings and if you dont like it, we can turn it back. I just couldnt believe he was riding it as fast as he was.

A couple of weeks later, we swapped bikes and that was enough to convince him. We did his suspension and its a major improvement!

His bike actually had the same problem, just as my knee would go to touch down, it felt like it was falling into the corner. Im putting it down to his front tyre which is due to be replaced shortly. There are no other variables.

One of my mentors has always said to me:

"Tyres and suspension- its the only thing keeping you upright in a corner. Saftey is No.1"!!!

You can have one or the other, but if you have both you are set. I might point out this is already taking into account some schooling.

If you have a track near by, chances are there is a local suspension guy that can do your sag and basic clicker set up for a very minimal amount (like $30 or so)

This WILL improve your confidence. It wont be optimal, but it will get you to another level. You will be going as fast, if not faster and you will be more comfortable. It will be easier.

A rear spring isnt that much, maybe $80- $110 US. Front springs are probably about the same but you will get ball park preload with the stock front springs. Im 68kg and I still had to fork out for a stiffer rear spring. $180 AUD! I got ripped in comparison but I paid it without blinking an eye- saftey is No.1!!

This isnt really directed at anyone so dont take it the wrong way:

I really dont get it, people will spend $600 on pipes, $250 on a power commander, sprockets, $60 on an air filter, $300 on tuning it. Thats over a 1K for maybe 10hp that you can only use on the highway. Lets see, 5 hp is maybe 2 bike lengths in a "roll on race". Thats not a lot of value.... realistically!

But getting your sag and clickers set up isnt considered? Or deemed too expensive or inconvienient!

A basic revalve is what, maybe $400? SBK school, what $450? go to the twisties and see who is competant (skill and machine). Even better, go to the track and race them!

Maybe its the australian culture, but being able to do a 2mile wheelie isnt that impressive. Being the fastest in a straight line means nothing- anyone can spend money and twist their wrist. Sort of gets boring after a while.