Race Tech Suspension

Does anyone have any experience with Race Tech products?

I am looking to overhaul my suspension on my 2006 R6. I'm thinking about installing the 25mm cartridge kit and fork spring in the forks and a possible rebuild of the stock shock with the Race Tech product line. I have read some good results with this rebuild (Sport Rider, 01/08 issue page78).

Furthermore, I'm in a bit of a conundrum whether to rebuild the rear shock or purchase and Elka 3-way Shock. The cost for the rear shock rebuild is about 400.00. The cost of the Elka 3-way is about 900.00. I will be doing alot of track days this year(Advanced) but no racing at this time. Any imput would be appreciated.

Hi Steven,

I can't give you any better firsthand info than you already have re: racetech products. I can say that a cartridge fork system is superior in general. In the past, stock shock units were inherently inferior to aftermarkedt dedicated race shocks (particularly for track riding and fine tuning for the track), but, I am not familiar with your model or the current state of the art for OEM suspensions in general these days. And even riding an advanced class track day, I can't say that your stock unit would necessarily be holding you back. Someone else might have a better answer.

That said, I'm curious about the Valentino Rossi quote in your tagline. My Italian is a bit shaky to say the least, and a word for word literal translation doesn't quite make sense to my ear, so I'm wondering if this use of come would best be phrase translated (loosely) along the lines of:

"A motorcycle is only as risky as you make it" or "... is as much a risk as one brings to it (or 'gives' to it)" or something like that?

In other words... a motorcycle is just a motorcycle. It is the rider who is risky or "a danger".

Thanks,

racer

I am looking to overhaul my suspension on my 2006 R6. I'm thinking about installing the 25mm cartridge kit and fork spring in the forks and a possible rebuild of the stock shock with the Race Tech product line. I have read some good results with this rebuild (Sport Rider, 01/08 issue page78).

Furthermore, I'm in a bit of a conundrum whether to rebuild the rear shock or purchase and Elka 3-way Shock. The cost for the rear shock rebuild is about 400.00. The cost of the Elka 3-way is about 900.00. I will be doing alot of track days this year(Advanced) but no racing at this time. Any imput would be appreciated.

Don't know the Race Tech stuff as well, though it's certainly been around. We've been happy with the Elka shocks, and as for rebuilding, we have used GP Suspension (when Will was racing, he used their stuff a lot, and was very happy with it.).

They are out of Portland, Dave Hodges runs it.

Best,

Cobie

Hi Steven,

I can't give you any better firsthand info than you already have re: racetech products. I can say that a cartridge fork system is superior in general. In the past, stock shock units were inherently inferior to aftermarkedt dedicated race shocks (particularly for track riding and fine tuning for the track), but, I am not familiar with your model or the current state of the art for OEM suspensions in general these days. And even riding an advanced class track day, I can't say that your stock unit would necessarily be holding you back. Someone else might have a better answer.

That said, I'm curious about the Valentino Rossi quote in your tagline. My Italian is a bit shaky to say the least, and a word for word literal translation doesn't quite make sense to my ear, so I'm wondering if this use of come would best be phrase translated (loosely) along the lines of:

"A motorcycle is only as risky as you make it" or "... is as much a risk as one brings to it (or 'gives' to it)" or something like that?

In other words... a motorcycle is just a motorcycle. It is the rider who is risky or "a danger".

Thanks,

racer

Thanks for you response , I think I'm going to re-valve and spring the front forks and try the rebuild of the rear shock just to see how it works. This option is much less money and what I've read so far seems like it may be just what I need if I'm only doing track days! Right now I run with stock suspension and I'm one of the faster guys in the STT track day events. I think the money saved can be better spent on tires and investing in level 3 of the CSS school!

As for the Valentino quote it is translated as folows:" A motorcycle is like a dangerous women". Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Don't know the Race Tech stuff as well, though it's certainly been around. We've been happy with the Elka shocks, and as for rebuilding, we have used GP Suspension (when Will was racing, he used their stuff a lot, and was very happy with it.).

They are out of Portland, Dave Hodges runs it.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks for the reply Cobie! The info you provide is very much appreciated!

As for the Valentino quote it is translated as folows:" A motorcycle is like a dangerous women". Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Two n's. Donna. Doh.

No wonder it didn't make sense to my ear. Must be the blue type in the tagline being so hard to see. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I live in Bangkok. The springs in the bikes here are for Asian size guys not big guys from America. I weigh about 265. When in the States, I picked up some springs from Racetec. I didn't do the valves as I don't trust the mechanics here to do the job properly.

Having the right springs for my weight has made a big difference. The bike handles much better.

I found the support from Racetec was good too. If you live in the LA area you can bring your bike to them for installation. I think they sell a fork cartridge kit as well.

Take care,

JP

I live in Bangkok. The springs in the bikes here are for Asian size guys not big guys from America. I weigh about 265. When in the States, I picked up some springs from Racetec. I didn't do the valves as I don't trust the mechanics here to do the job properly.

Having the right springs for my weight has made a big difference. The bike handles much better.

I found the support from Racetec was good too. If you live in the LA area you can bring your bike to them for installation. I think they sell a fork cartridge kit as well.

Take care,

JP

JP,

Thanks for the data, it's good to know.

I wonder if we ought to start a topic for mechanics and suppliers, see who has had good success with them? What do you guys think?

Cobie

• 2 months later...
I wonder if we ought to start a topic for mechanics and suppliers, see who has had good success with them? What do you guys think?

Cobie

I think that's a great idea, Cobie.

Good Day All,

I had the Racetech upgrade done on my CBR1000RR and was very pleased with the results...I think it all comes down to having the right springs and the shims stacked properly for your needs. I personally feel that mechanically shims are shims and springs are made to a standard specification...It comes down to trusting the people that are doing the work for you and giving them the correct information so that they can give you the product you need and a suspension that can work for you. Most of these guys that build shocks have the information archived for styles, weights and products so they can put you where you need to be. Good luck and have fun.

Cobie

I think that's a great idea, Cobie.

OK, I'll start it off. When Will was racing a lot, he used GP Suspension, think he's out of Portland. I got one of his spring kits for my ZX-9R, liked it a lot.

C

One of the best and most meticulous mechanics/machinists/builders I know is Joe DiStefano here in Pittsburgh. He built and tuned racing Ducati's for Fast By Ferracci before starting his own shop about fifteen years ago. He spends much of his time traveling the country doing dealer support for Triumph(?) (I believe) these days, and there is a waiting list for his time, but, when it comes to building Ducati's (or any motor), he is tops. He takes great pride in his work, honors his word and stands by his work. However long it takes to do the job right at the price he quotes is how long it takes.... at the price he quotes. He is a real stand up guy and one of the best people I know. He did my forks and motors (that won many trophies) and is a master at utilizing his dyno to squeak every last BHP out of a project.

I sold the stock suspension with Racetech guts and bought an Ohlins suspension from Dan Kyle Racing. Great Guy! Great set up. The Racetech suspension was working fine but wanted the best I could afford under me....