Newbie track rider with a tyre question.

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I’d like to say this forum is a fantastic resource for information. I've been using the search bar for the last few months, especially for questions about riding techniques. I passed my bike test in March at the grand age of 37, bought a 2009 ZX-6R, and have been on three track days since. Now, I’m hooked.

I immediately purchased a new set of Bridgestone S23 tires, which have been great. I don’t do a lot of road mileage, mostly just riding around my hometown of London (U.K.) with the occasional weekend blast.

My question is about my rear S23 tire, which is showing significant wear across the softer edge compounds to the point where I can feel a lip where it meets the harder central compound. Should I buy another S23 rear or get an RS11 for increased grip with my new track hobby? I know they won’t match, but I’m not yet at the stage where I’m pushing the front hard, as I don’t really trail brake yet. The only reason I could think of to upgrade the front as well would be for better edge grip.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and respond.IMG_3756.thumb.jpeg.c2335717c1bb1845f6572b1f431908fd.jpegIMG_3755.thumb.jpeg.6d8055d449ecfdd7d3f42e9810ac0b2b.jpeg

You’ve got a pretty good match of suspension for conditions, looking at the wear. I don’t personally mind running different compounds front-rear. A lot of riders do it intentionally. However, there’s a difference between running an Pirelli SC03 & 02 or something rather than a different profile. The Bridgestone difference in tire models you mentioned might be a bit more than just grip, so bear that in mind, and see if you can get ahold of a Bridgestone rep for their advice. Also, keep in mind your rear might give you some good grip mid-corner that as you start getting on the throttle and unload or unload the front a touch over a crest, you might start pushing the front other than just trail-braking. In the end, will it work? Yes, but just be aware and ride accordingly, looking for those indicators of feeling as you creep up on the limits. Best of luck! Of course, the front is usually not too expensive by comparison, so I’d probably lean towards a new full set when those get worn down another track day or so.