There are several versions of that story as well. One is that he was not the priority for Ducati and they provided him with a sub-standard team. When he came back for a one-off race in Valencia 2006, he had one demand - being able to bring his SBK team. He won...

For me, results speak more loudly than theory. Doohan apparently didn't ride correctly, either. Look where that got him. Mike Hailwood won all the way to 1980 without hanging off and still managed to corner faster with less lean that riders hanging way off. History is full of riders gaining success without following the book. That isn't to say they could not have improved further, but there clearly are more than one way to ride a motorcycle fast ;)

Interesting book. It would be interesting to see his perspective on things that work well for him.

I love the following quote which is VERY true. It's probably the reason I love riding so much.

"The most important thing to realize about motorcycle riding is that it's a dynamic skill. You will always be able to improve or change something to be faster, smoother, and safer."

-- Troy Bayliss

That is a great quote that was recently exemplified for me by a fellow student during my lvl 4 school day. As a result of a recent increase in pace she was encountering new challenges with the interaction of the motorcycle in transitions. With every breakthrough you achieve there arises new barriers and problems that must be sorted out,

When reviewing riding styles through the ages It is important to remember that they have evolved alongside the technology of the bike, and in many ways were adapted to the available technology at the time. Marquez is not the first rider to drag his elbow, that was done as early as 88 on a 250 gp bike. His riding style is possible due to massive improvements in suspension, tires and linear power delivery. The unpredictable nature of the old 500cc two stroke's would make Marquez's riding style near impossible, and probably result in some of the worst highsides ever seen. We seem quick to forget how much more dangerous racing was in the past, and how much more common crashes were. Comparing the riding styles of someone on a temperamental 2 stroke who was racing around armco barriers and hay bales to that of someone on a bike managed by a army of technicians and sensors with huge groomed runoffs and airbags in their leathers is like apples and elephants IMO.

Tyler

to be fair Eirik, I do believe some of the photos of Schwantz you have posted in the other thread are in fact well timed mid crash shots, even Schwantz himself has mentioned in interviews that some of the more spectacular photos of his use of lean angle were taken during a crash he was unable to save.

Tyler