Should I Wait, Or Ride?

Guest Josiah K

Guest Josiah K

Hi all,

I'm turning 18 in just a few months and riding has been one of my dreams for 7+ years. I am in great phisical and mental condition (no, really :blink: ), so that is not what makes me wonder if now is a good time to start riding. It's the money. As a 18 y/o male, am I going to pay the price of a new bike every year in insurance?

I want to do it right, I'm gunna take all the classes and training I can get, and I don't intend to do anything stupid (I know the difference between a raceway and a freeway). But should I wait a little while longer before I actually start riding? I'm a "starving college student" making barely more than minimum wage.

Thanks in advance,

Josiah K (aka: Si Ko)

One vote here for go for it!!!! I started riding street at 15 on a little yamaha srx25. Also you can surly count on high insurance I put my own insurance payment into the bank each month because just like you said I would end up paying more than the bike is worth in a years time. Plus if I manage not to need it I'll have enough for my second bike. (can a guy have too many?) In my opinion there alot of guys who probably would survive longer if they waited on a bike but do it the right way be safe and watch out for all the yahoos as well as keep your testosterone in check and enjoy the sport for a greater portion of your life. Also I have no regrets in the choice of my first bike it was small light and inexpensive. I learned alot with that bike and it was easier to get out of trouble than a larger displacment higher horsepower bike would have been with a novice at the controls. Good Luck

Guest Josiah K

This is a question I'm sure has been asked before, but...

Should I get a bike I really like (I love the 2004 GSX-R600), or one that will be an easy starter bike (such as the Ninja 250r)?

Josiah

Get a used 600. It will get dropped. I went the new route... I had no idea how to maintain it, what noises ment or anything else. I dropped it 4 days after getting it. I too was 18. The bike was a POS in 12 months. Also, go to the superbike school before you get any bad habits. It is cheaper than replacing an upper fairing.

I tried to explain this to a young guy that was starting out like you. He kept saying he couldn't afford it. That he had spent his money on his bike. Well 3 months later... his bike was gone, and he only had liability coverage. Lets just say that one day at the school would have fixed him enough that he wouldn't have tossed his bike away.

• 3 weeks later...

Go ahead and get a bike, I started riding when I was 18, absolutly love it. I'm about to go over 100,000 miles on two wheels.

A few suggestions. Get a low cc, used older model. DO NOT start off with a 1300 busa. You will drop it, you will. You won't be nearly as mad at yourself if it already has a few scratches and a bent clutch lever already. The older low cc models will be cheaper to insure (still gonna put a dent in your wallet). In my day the line of demarcation was 750cc. Bigger and they really hit you hard for insurance. My first was a GS550, plenty of zip and yes I dropped it, a few times.

Secondly, here are the danger signs. You have already passed the first test, you were smart enough to ask instead of just charging into it. You will ride the first month or so (depending on how often you ride) Like an old grandma, you will be aware of everything, you will do your head checks every time, you won't get into the throttle to often/never in traffic. In a sentence you will be the "perfect cyclist". From a month to say 6 months (or a year) you will think you know how to ride but you will still be "think riding" that is you will think about pulling the clutch in, you will think about shifting, you will think about how you are braking. This is fine so long as nothing unexpected happens. however a car pulls out, a turn comes out at you to fast, it rains, the sun is in your eyes and you will have to think about it, instead of automatically pulling in the clutch while braking hard and anti-collision counter steering. Avoid the temptation to get silly in that first year. The best way to do this is not to get into a crew and start stunting. Two guys can roll down to the pizza place, three or more and someone will jump out in front and then someone else will have to prove something. Half a dozen bikes and a bike is going to get wadded up sooner or later.

hope that all helps, good luck, keep your eyes open for everyone, take the classes, avoid testostarone over dose and keep the painted side up and the rubber side down.

Rifleman