Picking A Turn-in Point For A New Corner

I asked this question at the school, and thought I understood your answer, but it turns out I didn't :)

When coming up to a new corner I'm curious how to tell what a good starting turn in point is. I believe the answer given was when you see the corner "knurl" towards you, but I'm not exactly sure what that looks like.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Bill

I asked this question at the school, and thought I understood your answer, but it turns out I didn't :)

When coming up to a new corner I'm curious how to tell what a good starting turn in point is. I believe the answer given was when you see the corner "knurl" towards you, but I'm not exactly sure what that looks like.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Bill

First of all, let me point out that I'm not an expert at this, and I haven't attended CSS Lvl1 yet. But I have studied TOTWII, and from my memory there are two or three important aspects to consider when deciding on a turn in point.

As a thumb rule, you want to pick an entry speed AND A TURN IN POINT that will allow throttle rule #1 to be applied (get on the throttle as soon as possible, and accelerate smoothly througout the remaining part of the corner)

Secondly, if it's a decreasing radius turn, you basicly want your turn in point to be as late as possible.

On more open turns (often taken at higher speeds), keep in mind that the shortest distance between entry point and exit point (a straight line) is usually the fastest line (out - in - out).

The "standard" entry point (if you could say such a thing exist) will be at the far outside of the turn, and late/early enough to flick the bike down, pointing at the apex.

Looking well into the turn (and not 10 feet infront of the bike) will give you a better idea of when and where to turn in, and at which velocity. Just my .02 on the subject :)