Willow Springs Levels I And Ii

What an incredible weekend at the Streets of Willow, I can't thank my on track coaches, Cobie and Pete, enough for all the help and attention they provided!

I came into the weekend thinking I was a decent rider but open minded to the fact that there was a lot to learn and many bad habits to break. After the first track session in level I, I absolutely loved turn 8 and struggled on turn 4 a bit.. Over the next 3 sessions I found out that I really wasn't as good as turn 8 as I thought I was and struggled with my line and where to roll on the throttle... A bit discouraged I went into the 5th class of the day where we discussed the 2-step drill, and once I got on the track all the preceeding drills of the day really came together for me and I felt as if I owned turn 8 (and had biggest smile on my face after I hit that corner really well for the first time) and over the next day I found I was able to roll the throttle on earlier and earlier and even with the gusting winds I felt in complete control.

The second day as well as working on the regular drills, Pete began showing me how to correctly hang off the bike, which is a bit more technical than I thought it was and I had a blast learning! I dropped my best time from day 1(which felt like I was really moving quick), and I felt more in control doing it thanks to all the great instruction and drills!

The off-track coaching was great, they don't let you just get by if you don't get it.. They work and work with you until you get it right, and they were supportive throughout the process and even when I was struggling with things they kept me focused and never appeared frustrated.

I've still have a lot of things to work on and it's going to take time to really develop these skills but I am excited to get to work on them and hope to do levels III and IV sooner than later..

I can't say enough good things about the coaching here, these guys are great!

Also, for anyone reading this post thinking about doing the school, DO IT, but check your ego at the gate and be open to what these guys are saying, Keith Code is the science of cornering, he's been doing this a long time and knows what works and what doesn't, listen and work on these drills because even if you think you already know how to do them there's probably room for improvement!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

See you soon for level III!!!

Ryan

That two step drill must be something, because everyone brings it up. 17 days and counting. It's always good to hear positive stories from the school, which they always are, and I am counting the days. Everyone at work is doing a countdown with me. "Hey Jason, 20 days," and so forth. I hope I'll be able to sleep the night before.

Comgrats on your weekend! I'm glad you enjoyed your riding and felt improvment and more confidence. Turn 8 is my favorite turn at the Streets. One of the few left handers where you can open it up. Hope to see you there again. There's more schooling there in just under 2 weeks :)

Awesome first post! Welcome to the forum man, it's always cool to hear these stories.

Comgrats on your weekend! I'm glad you enjoyed your riding and felt improvment and more confidence. Turn 8 is my favorite turn at the Streets. One of the few left handers where you can open it up. Hope to see you there again. There's more schooling there in just under 2 weeks :)

Hey Sof, isn't turn 8 a righ hander... am I mis-counting?

Turn 8 is the banked right hander (the bowl) and you can get an amazing drive out of it with a good line.

My buddies and I are talking about doing level III in 2 weeks back at Streets.. I've got my fingers crossed and will hopefully know this weekend!

Awesome first post! Welcome to the forum man, it's always cool to hear these stories.

Hey Sof, isn't turn 8 a righ hander... am I mis-counting?

Opps my apologies. I meant turn 7 is my favorite! Turn 8 is fun too, but spooky how much lean you can get with the banking.

Glad you had fun man :)