High Speed Corners

Thor

I'm bummed that I can't make to the School at Blackhawk Farms and I have a question regarding high speed corners.

At Barber, my first track day, this started to happen, then again on a short, local practice track; and with Brainerd in my future it could be dangerous if unresolved.

I seem to be fine getting into a high speed corner if I have the whole track to work with and cut to the inside edge. I drift to the outside and then set up for the next corner.

What I am finding is that if I misjudge the corner or have to enter wide to pass another rider I start to go wide and I feel like I am pushing against a brick wall to get more lean to make the corner. It's almost like I don't have enough lean and I can't find more. More counter-steering takes a lot of effort (the wind pushing my arm back doesn't help) and doesn't get me where I need to be. I'm hesitant to roll off the throttle in these corners, so that may not be helping.

At one point I actually went off the track and slowed the bike enough to scare, but not hit the corner workers (I don't think they expected a bike to go off on the straight).

My initial thoughts are that I am not looking far enough ahead for the speed and turning too early, but that doesn't seem to be the cause - it could be.

What do you find to be the common errors for a turn like this, which should be simple - most just require a steady throttle hand and big stones?

Thanks

Where you are looking could be an issue but it sounds more like you are tight on the bars ( pushing or pulling on the opisite bar to negate the steering force). If you are locked on the bike with your legs any steering input should create an instant effect.

Will

Tight on the bars sound about right. I've had to pay attention to that on straights when I am trying to will more acceleration by twisting the throttle harder - it completely messes up shifting, clutching, braking, etc... If I stay back in the seat most of those problems go away, but I usually concentrate on that more for a tighter turn entry coming up - just can't turn worth beans if I'm tight on the bars.

Thanks