Bump In A Turn

Viper

Hi,

i've recently encountered a strange situation that i'm not sure i can handle correctly. In a nice CR turn (a U-turn beneath the highway bridge, not too tight), right in the middle of the curve, i noticed a bump that was unavoidable... i was already leaned into a turn and hung-off, it was too late to straighten the bike... :( Fortuntately, i did not crash, but both wheels were very muc unloaded and i almost lost control of the bike... I don't really know how i handled it - the only thing I remember was that I blocked SR#1 (thanks much to Keith's ToW II), hold the throttle where it was at the moment of going thru the bump and tried to "hold on" (with my entire body stiff)...

Any advise on how to handle similar "obstacles" in mid-turn would be highly appreciated... thanks much in advance!

I don't know if this is correct, but I haven't crashed mid corner yet so it must work.

I just let the bike react how it wants to and continue with my plan.

Most of the time the suspension will soak it up

Sometimes the chassis will wobble and I'll sh*t my pants and have my heart in my mouth, but I focus on where I want to be and stick to the plan for that corner and it works outs.

Never have I had it go completely out of control.

I have found that if you fight the bikes reaction then you can get yourself into all sorts of trouble.

sounds like you did everything right, 'cept the "entire body stiff" part. if you relax and let your body move in phase with the bike, or even use your legs as part of the suspension of the bike, it will help keep things more stable.

Can you be more specific about using legs as part of the suspension? I didn't know I could do that... asa far as I understand when i'm hung-off, most of my weight is already on the pegs (more on the inside one) and i'm also partially "hooking" onto the bike with my outside leg (with knee as a "hook")... how can I help the suspension with this setup?

if you can't use your legs as part of the suspension, the key thing is to stay relaxed as much as possible.

i'd try to explain the use of your legs in more detail, but it's so much easier in person. just ask your instructor about it when you are doing the lean bike drill at the school.

Correct me if I am misguiding. I ride alot of bumpy roads at speed. I know this is different than the track, but one particular road I like to ride again and again. It has been dubbed the "devil road" by a gentleman from St. Louis who was visiting. It's out in the middle of cow country with no road signs at all. It starts out with a 90 degree leading downhill to a decreasing radius right, where in the middle it changes pavement types and is very bumpy. It immediately switches to a 110 degree left turn over more bumps.

If you try to ride it in normal high speed street style you'll be heading for a cow pasture and barbed wire - many have ended up there. What has worked for me and for others is to turn deep in the turn, hold on with your outside leg, have your upper body balanced and well to the inside, and become DETACHED from the movement of the bike (you leg becomes an extra shock absorber.)

The bike will bounce around and against your weighted outside leg as you toss the tank from one knee to the other in anticipation of your next turn input. Everything is held with the peg, heel and knee. The bike handles the bumps beneath you and you are free to turn quickly enough to make the next turn.

If your butt (even one cheek) is hard on the seat and your weight is on the bars you will fight yourself to keep the bike from chattering to the outside of the first turn, and an attempt to make the next turn will leave you with the only option of twisting in your seat and throwing your body weight into the handlebars. Heaven help you if you are off the gas - the bumps seem to get bigger.

Anecdotal, yes, but an excellent test of how relaxed and balanced you are on the bike. I check my balance by briefly letting go of the bars just before I get into the turn to make sure my body position is right.