What Makes The Most Difference

If you don't have throttle control, the other 2 don't matter...

From there, you need at least some amount of body positioning to successfully quick turn or you'll quick-crash (my perfect example is here: http://www.cbr600rr.com/pages/052904.htm )

But again, above all good throttle control is the absolute foundation for riding.

Assuming you know the basics of the three, turning the bike quicker will yeild the best results. The quicker you can turn the bike the sooner it's possible to get on the throttle. The quicker you can turn the bike the faster you can go through a turn at a given lean angle. The quicker you can turn the bike the more confidence you'll have to get off the brakes and flick the bike into a turn.

I'd have to agree that throttle control might be #1 on my list. Based on what I experienced at school, if we did the quick turning first or if we worked on body position first I might've just crashed. I noticed that there were some corners I was in where I thought, "Dammit, I'm not gonna make it!", but then I forced myself to do what we were supposed to do - roll on the throttle - and realized that it saved me. Not only did it save me but it helped me to realize that I was NOWHERE near my limit or the bike's limits!

That was what I experienced in the first session of the first level. By the end of the day I was rolling through the track and leaning over farther than what I previously thought was humanly possible. Even after working on quick turning and some adjustments with my body position what really set me up for the corner and held me stable through the corners was getting on the throttle and rolling it smoothly through the corners.

So, if you're hanging off and turning the bike quickly you'll be getting nowhere, or worse, if your hand is choppy or uncertain on the throttle. That's just my own experience.

By the way, reading the issue of "INSIDER" a few months ago I learned that Rossi's "ever-important throttle control", as they said it, was measured in millimeter increments? That's incredible touch for a 240+hp machine!

Oh, and sorry to hear about your accident there, JeF4y. Hope you heal up quick and back to 100%.

Thanks. Yep, I packed it up and skipped the races that weekend, but was back for 2 days with Keith the following week and have been racing since...

Great Replys.

Lets say that you have all three of these techniques at a reasonable level

Scores out of 10

throttle control 5

quick turn 5

body position 5

Let say that if you worked hard on one area you could get it to a 7. Which would you work on first to see the most overall improvement in your riding. I tend to agree with Greg and think that Quick Turn gives me the most improvement

What do you think

Well, when you come to school the first thing you work on is throttle control so it can set you up for everything else (quick turning, etc.). So if you can say you're at a "5" on throttle, quick turns, and body positioning it would be like starting over at zero where you can begin honing and refining your throttle control skills first. Read this month's issue of T.W.O. and you'll see an entire chapter dedicated to throttle control with input from people like Colin Edwards and Kevin Schwantz.

This is just my opinion but you can probably get away with sloppy positioning or slow turn-ins if your throttle control was excellent. Not that you want to develop bad position or adopt slow turn-in habits but I'm saying that if you were to ever make a mistake the throttle might possibly save you. With that being said if you took any of those throttle control, body position, and quick turn in and made a mistake with either one I believe you would be affected most by a mistake at the throttle.

I'll still say that if your quick turning ability exceeds your throttle control ability OR body position, you will crash...

Just my $.02...

Not sure I agree. If you quick steer so quicking that you forget to roll on the throttle then maybe..

I agree that you need to be smoothly rolling the throttle on after the steering input. But by turning the bike quickly you should need less lean angle, so I think that you should be less likely to crash. I am not talking about suddenly trying to turn as fast as a GP rider, but a definate improvement

I have completed Levels I, II and III. On the basis that I can only work on improving one area at a time. So first I will work on my weak areas and try to get all the techniques to the same level.

Then after that which of the three techniques to work on first