One-two Corner Entry

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums but I've read a lot of good discussion here and thought it would be fun to join in!

One technique I have seen some riders apply, especially coming into tight corners, is a sort of one-two entry. I have seen it mostly with 2-stroke riders (I ride an RS250 and have seen some very good local 125 GP riders doing it).

It's sort of related to trailing your brakes in. The riders are heavy on the brakes, and they've "teed up" the motorcycle for the turn, having started to load the bars with some countersteering input. At this point, I have observed the bike can often be in a mild slide.

They make more and more countersteering input, then at some point they release the brakes. The bike collapses on its side completely, having had the braking input that makes the bike want to track upright removed.

It's almost like there are two turn points. One where you start your countersteering input under full brakes, the second when you release your brakes and the bike steers again and gains more lean angle.

I tried this technique coming into Turn 9 at Eastern Creek near Sydney (corner famous for that 1996 Doohan/Criville crash that handed Capirossi a victory - they weren't the first guys to engage in antics like that at T9, haven't haven't been the last!).

I found that the technique allowed me to take a much later turn point and later apex into the corner, handy for passing people on the brakes. As soon as the bike falls on its side, I am on the gas with no coasting in between.

It taught me a lot about the difference trail braking can make. When I release the brakes, the bike's lean angle increases substantially and as long as I start some throttle instantaneously, the bike feels smooth. It seems mostly applicable to tighter turns.

I'm somewhat interested to see whether this is an acknowledged technique, or perhaps an acknowledged riding *fault* with some tech behind it explaining why it shouldn't be done.

I feel like it gives me an advantage because I can take a deeper turn point, which leads to a straighter line through the corner.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Luke (www.hagus.net)

I have heard this many times, and while it may be the fastest way to the apex it is not the fastest way around a corner. To do it you give up some amount of radius, by turning slowly at first your not using all the track. because of the tightened radius you have you will need to scrub more speed to make it out of the turn and that is the fly in the ointment. If you are going a couple MPH faster going in and gain an advantage you will loose it after the apex when having to go slower than if you used a late wide turn you will be caught. If it's a one line turn you may keep the pass, if it's not you will be going wide and the inside is wide open for a momentum pass.

What I mean by a momentum pass is that a late wide turn will give you the biggest radius and the highest average speed through the turn. Trailing in will get you to the apex quicker but you will need to slow more to adjust for the lost radius and also arrest the slowing and turn it to acceleration.

The other down side of trailing is increased tire wear. having the front loaded for a longer period of time and then needing to shock the rear and accelerate out from the apex.

The difference that is most noticeable is if the turn has a straight at the exit as the couple of MPH at the apex will be seen all the way down it. I am just outlining the idea of the give and take you must weigh before deciding what the best solution to a turn or passing situation is. I would never try and out trail a trail braker or out late turn someone who is using it. Each passing situation is different and just getting past isn't always enough, you must stay ahead after the pass or it just gets frustrating.

Will