My Improvement At Inde.

I just did another trackday at Inde and have to say it was the most improvement I've seen since I did my first trackday after CSS levels 1-2. I was running 2:15-2:17's pretty consistently and this time was getting under 2:10. It was the wildest thing. I was going to take it easy for the first couple of sessions but just felt comfortable at a faster pace. I didn't change anything that I know of except reading up on quick turning (QT).

Chris Peris runs 1:47's, the fastest track riders and another AMA pro, Ted Rich, turn 1:57's. It's always frustrating because I can help get riders better, but they're faster than me in a couple trackdays, and I can't continue to help them. This time I was passing some amateur racers in the advanced group who used to blaze by me.

Has anyone else had this large an improvement without practicing? Suddenly? I felt completely comfortable at that speed. I didn't feel like I was pushing it at all. I don't really try to push it. Ever. I just want consistently moderately fast lap-times.

Great job Jason, sounds like you had a great breakthrough there? What an amazing thing confidence is! That is a very good breakthrough for someone already at a good level. I'd suggest ot was more than just quick turning? Anything else you'd considered was a problem before?

Bullet

I find I make improvements out on the road by just trying new things and seeing if they work or not, concentrating more on my vision and picking out reference points to aim for helped tighten up my lines recently, then last week I started to try and move my head further forward and off to one side (as opposed to just off the bike) and found that my outer arm naturally fell into place onto the side of the tank, thus taking even more weight off my wrists in a turn. I've now adopted this as it feels really natural.

Great job Jason, sounds like you had a great breakthrough there? What an amazing thing confidence is! That is a very good breakthrough for someone already at a good level. I'd suggest ot was more than just quick turning? Anything else you'd considered was a problem before?

Bullet

Could just be a breakthrough, like you said. I'm very familiar with the track and have the same RP's. I was hitting a bunch of corners consistently and getting real through them quickly. The only thing I was working on was quick turning. Nothing new to the bike. Everything is stock except for stompgrip and -1 up front for a while now. Last time Chuckwalla was a lot more smooth, but I was just chalking it up to a good day. There wasn't an improvement like this. Now Inde. I can't wait to see how Streets goes next weekend.

There was a guy I'd helped out a little with lines who'd gotten faster than me (as they all do) that I was able to keep up with this time and point out a corner he wasn't doing so well in.

I find I make improvements out on the road by just trying new things and seeing if they work or not, concentrating more on my vision and picking out reference points to aim for helped tighten up my lines recently, then last week I started to try and move my head further forward and off to one side (as opposed to just off the bike) and found that my outer arm naturally fell into place onto the side of the tank, thus taking even more weight off my wrists in a turn. I've now adopted this as it feels really natural.

It's been a while since I've done levels 1-2, and vision is a huge thing. It helped me a lot. Keep working on the vision aspect and you'll see improved speed, comfort, and confidence.

Archived