D211Gp Racer N-Tec Compounds V Temperature

Steve

I know this has been touched on elsewhere but wondered if you could give us the benefit of your advice please?

A number of different tyre technicians have given me conflicting advice as to a general rule of thumb when picking which GP racer compounds to use depending upon track temperatures. As I live in the UK and do trackdays in the UK and in France and Spain the track temperature varies enormously from about 10C to 30C.

I only do track days and am looking for predictability and long life rather than the last few 10ths of a second.

Thank you in advance.

Dave

Steve

I know this has been touched on elsewhere but wondered if you could give us the benefit of your advice please?

A number of different tyre technicians have given me conflicting advice as to a general rule of thumb when picking which GP racer compounds to use depending upon track temperatures. As I live in the UK and do trackdays in the UK and in France and Spain the track temperature varies enormously from about 10C to 30C.

I only do track days and am looking for predictability and long life rather than the last few 10ths of a second.

Thank you in advance.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I've raced on these tyres on my CBR 600 steelie, as they don't do the motorsport version in a 180, only a 190. They're a very good tyre, and I liked them very much. they're not as sharp as the full on motorsport version which I understand is hand made instead of machine made which these are, but the difference in lap times isn't too massive, perhaps a couple of seconds per lap max difference on a longer circuit such as Oulton or Silverstone Arena.

I used, (and I'd reccomend tham) to run Endurance rear and medium front, and was able to do a full race weekend on a rear, and two weekends on a front. Now, it's not a lot of miles really, but is still not bad at all. I think we were running 31F 26R hot of warmers, you might need to tweak these down a little bit when it's really hot, but for typical UK weather, it worked nicely, as too low and we just tore up the tyres.

So there you have it, it's what I'd run, and is what we run on some of our school bikes, if you have any further questions, please ask. I'm sure Steve will add to the thread when he gets chance, as he's the resident dunlop expert who has the very fine detail on things black and round.

Bullet

Bullet

Thanks very much for that and I appreciate the advice on the pressures as I know the ones I ended up with in Spain would be too low for the UK.

An Endurance front lasted 4 days and a rear 2 in Spain so I think your ratio works but I'm obviously kinder to my tyres (as you'd expect) as its for track days rather than racing.

I shall buy 2xF-M and 4xR-E for the princely sum of £800 (these things are getting expensive!) which I hope will do me for most of the summer track days before going out to Spain again in the autumn.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

Thank you in advance.

Dave

Dave,

I am going to yield to Bullet on this one. He has experience on those tracks. What he says is correct.

I would say that going on the harder end of the lineup is better for track days. As you stated, you dont need that .2 seconds, but would rather have the longer life.

Have a good ride.

Archived