Speed Versus Technique

KSS

Now this may come as an odd statement, considering that this is a "Superbike Forum," however, I am looking at developing my technique more so than developing speed (speed that I know will increase automatically as the technique gets better).

My concern is that because this is my goal, I may not go as "fast" as the other riders and may delay them in their development. I am an experienced rider, just not comfortable with high speeds and cornering......

Is this the place to really help me?

i was talking to my dad about the exact same issue last weekend. i have been encouraging him to take the school, but sensed some reluctance on his part. the name of the school, and the assumption that many (if not all) of our students are racers, or at least extremely fast, and that the "mortal" street rider who doesn't normally push the limits too much will be a hindrance on the track, has not been my eperience.

our students range from extremely fast riders and racers to much slower street riders, and our methods for teaching, drills, and very well executed course control, keep everyone happy together on the track.

as an ex-racer, i had wondered how well it would work (before i took the school as a student), and was happily suprised with my ability to ride at my pace without spooking any slower riders (as long as i followed the rules and course control guidelines). the students i have had that were more sedate street riders at heart have all had a great time on the track, and have been able to co-exist with others of other speeds and skills on the track.

many many riders (if not the majority) seem to show up with the same goals as you, to become better riders, and not necessarily just go "faster", so you should fit right in!

Yes, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. As a matter of fact, when I took the class there was someone on a CRUISER (floorboards and everything, I think) who was in one of the upper levels! Funny to watch, for sure.

Anyway, I was afraid of being incredibly slow and hindering others but it never really happened. There were 2-3 guys faster than me (I was shocked, I thought everyone was much, much faster) and they were very courteous and safe about passing. They also talk to us to make sure we understand the drill giving everyone about 20 seconds in between each other.

Other than that I tried my best to be safe about passing other students and I held my lines when I was being passed so I didn't hurt anyone. Everyone mostly focuses on technique, just like you want to do, rather than all out speed.

I hope you consider taking the school. I had a lot of fun more than anything, and I learned a ton, too!

Guest waynedunham

Kss:

I took Level 1 & 2 last Oct. at VIR and my take is that it was all about technique! No one pushes you and the instruction is top notch. I made a couple of posts before taking the class and someone who has attended all levels along with the raceschool encouraged me to do Levels 1 & 2. It was a great time and I don't see how anyone could say it wasn't worth the money.

You will certainly leave a better, correctly informed rider.

This I must respond to. Last year at the Streets, there was a student on an 1800 Gold Wing. He went thru two classes that summer if memory serves me. In both classes he had the back seat of his bike weighted to simulate carrying a passenger.

This guy had fun both days. He did his own ride while singing country songs to himself. This is an example of the "no pressure" to go fast that the school endorses. (The instructor did suggest to him that he turn off his radio. ) :)

Wanna learn to go fast; look into CODE RACE.

KSS,

You sound like the perfect student to me! If you want to improve your riding then the Superbike School is perfect for you.

As an instructor I have seen students of all experience levels. I think it is great that you really want to focus on your technique and not just "going fast". I am sure if you do it this way you will find that the speed will come.

Don't worry about other students. All the tracks we do have plenty of space and anyway it is not a race. Hope to see you at a school soon.

Timmer

KSS,

I am of the same mind as you on technique I took level 1 last feb and am taking level 2 this feb. My only goal while at the school is technique not speed. Since my last school I did about 10 trackdays about everyother one I ran in the begginer groups so I could concentrate on my technique and identify my problem areas and try to come up with a plan to improve. I think by riding well within my abilities I was more able to observe my riding and get better. I love to go fast but when I am making a concious effort to improve fast goes on the back burner. For me I think it has worked well I made steady advances throughout the year. None bigger than after one day at CSS though, I hope to do the same this year again by concentrating on technique rather than speed.