Inspiring Track Day Video

My mechanic Opie Caylor is one heck of a nice guy. He's an ex racer who opened up a shop and works mostly on track bikes. I was lurking on Youtube and found a recent video of him at Road Atlanta having a good time. His bike is a completely bone stock GSXR1000 with mirrors on it that he rides on the street.

I find this video quite inspiring. He's going pretty darn fast but is really relaxed and courteous to other people on the track. The effortless nature of his riding is quite impressive. One of these days I hope my riding is as effortless as his. I thought it might be interesting to share.

Hmmm...he sure likes him some wheelies

But yes, very precise lines and decisive cornering and passing - extremely clean and competent riding.

One of my big regrets is that I never got over to Road Atlanta to ride it for the 5 years that I lived less than an hour east of there. Looks like a nice track, although I am a bit surprised at the number of S turns in rapid succession.

He's one heck of a rider for sure. :)

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Road Atlanta is about an hour away and I have yet to ride there. I'm pretty familiar with the track layout but I have yet to ride a bike there. Up the hill out of the paddock there's two options for the esses. One adds more turns for bikes and one's a wider faster turn for cars. They were running on the extra esses on the left side if you look towards the right as Opie is carving through the first set.

The straight is amazing. On the brakes at 180+mph is certainly a workout for your brake pads.

Ah, I see that now. Makes sense. I don't remember the American Le Mans cars wiggling through all those turns like that.

Watching races on TV, for me the signature corner on that track is the right onto the front straight after the long downhill under the bridge. Awesome. On-board video never really does justice to the elevation changes - that is a steep hill.

Ah, I see that now. Makes sense. I don't remember the American Le Mans cars wiggling through all those turns like that.

Watching races on TV, for me the signature corner on that track is the right onto the front straight after the long downhill under the bridge. Awesome. On-board video never really does justice to the elevation changes - that is a steep hill.

Oh yea. Someone was having fun when they designed that part of the track. You come off the 180mph straight into the two sharp turns and then under the bridge and down that big hill. Talk about a setup to suck you in. :)