Level 1 At Silverstone

Hello folks

I've just had a great day at Silverstone. Didn't get my knee down but did get right to the edge of the tyre and learnt loads. Most of which is contrary to all that I had been taught previously. The BMF's Blue Riband course teaches that you should spend your time looking into a corner where this school teaches that the focus should be on the way out of the corner.

Let me explain. What I used to do was find my place on the road and start my turn early. Lean the bike over a little bit and then as the road changed, lean it in a little bit more, then a little bit more, then a little bit more...

Consider that I was on a Yamaha Thunderace that had ###### tyres - Dunlop D207 Sportmax - wrong pressures, wrong suspension settings and wrong application - can you see why I developed a fear of low-siding? Correcting to go lower and lower is not a good thing. Shouldn't need to correct that way - because you started too early - anyway.

So, I'm dead chuffed doing quick turns, late into the corner, power on, stable bike.

I've always been confident on my bike - it's a great road bike - but this course was challenging my beliefs rather than giving me brand new ones. Most of the old beliefs have been thrown out and replaced with these brand new ones - which is cool - so all I have to do now is deal with the 6 years of conditioning.

Top marks to Andy Ibbot who made the classroom a great place to be. I only realised later that he had two other courses on the go at the same time and he flipped between each lesson with great ease. Andy - you are such a good teacher. The lads on the track are good as well. I thought that I was shifting when i'd get zapped by a blue leather clad loony. Inspirational to watch. Scary, but inspirational, as you zoomed off into the distance...

Now where can I get myself some cheap track time...

Thanks all

FT

• 2 weeks later...

I have just booked on Level 1 for 6th October and wanted to know what it was like, I did the rapid skills Part 1 & 2 last year at Cadwell Park but i still feel I,m too slow into the corners and body position is a bit off.

If anybody else has had reservations about the school before going, drop us a line as I,m dead nervous

Hopefully the CSS boys and girls can sort me out :P

Eyes wide open, ears pinned back and learn.

Just take it all as new information and corner with what and how they tell you. Good bunch.

Ft

Now that shows that you were paying attention FT because this is excellent advice.

Looking forward to meeting you Hammer, please make sure that you introduce yourself.

See you Thursday.

David

Eyes wide open, ears pinned back and learn.

Just take it all as new information and corner with what and how they tell you.  Good bunch.

Ft

Thank for the advice FT I will definitely take heed

:D:D:D

Hi Cookie,

I'm really looking forward to Thursday and can't wait to get started and let you boys loose on my riding faults.

I will come and introduce myself when I get there

See you soon

Geoff