Correct Technique Cornering A Bmw R1200gs

9balljoe

Yes am a long time rider, all kinds of motorcycles, I ride BMWs now and currently the 1200GS. Was wondering if any of you lads have any insight on corning styles for the more upright high clearance GS?

Any ideas are welcomed, leaning off the bike doesnt feel naturall on this bike.

Thanks, 9ball

Edited by 9balljoe

Hi 9ball:

I have a 1200GS and don't have any trouble at all moving off the seat. I actually find the seat easier to move around on than my K1200RS. With the RS, the seat slopes forward and tends to push you into the tank. Until I get into the curve where the centrifugal force stabilizes me, it requires pushing backward with your legs. With the GS, my legs are extended quite a bit more. Maybe that's the issue with you. After riding the GS, if I jump on the GS, I feel all scrunched up.

Robert

Yes am a long time rider, all kinds of motorcycles, I ride BMWs now and currently the 1200GS. Was wondering if any of you lads have any insight on corning styles for the more upright high clearance GS?

Any ideas are welcomed, leaning off the bike doesnt feel naturall on this bike.

Thanks, 9ball

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi 9ball,

Cornering technique for the R1200GS is simple. Don't hang off, unless you have extended arms.

Simply keep in line with the bike and maybe let your upper body lean in a bit.

And then if you have enough bodyparts ( heels, calfs, tighs and knees ) anchored solidly onto the bike, you

can get the cylinderhead-protection, if you have that mounted, to the tarmac.

I've seen it and done it !

Don't try to achieve this at once. First get comfortable with this cornering technique.

Make sure you relax your upper body, only the lower part of your body should be firmly fixated to the bike.

Hope this helps.

Let me know.

Best

Mike