Break Down Of A Bad Corner

xtrmln

I had a close one at the school last time out at infineon and I have done alot of thinking about what went wrong and right. T-11. came off the chicane with great drive got it flicked to the left fast and kept on the gas as I flicked it back to the right and headed toward my turnpoint at the entrance of 11. I carried more speed than I had all day going into the turn got set up made a downshift and realized my TP was coming up at a much faster rate than normal. I turned it in. This was my mistake because for the added speed I faulted in thinking I needed to turn it in before reaching my "standard TP". After thinking about this more I think I could make the corner with the speed I was carrying by using another TP that would take me just maybe a foot past my previous one. I beleive this to be the solution because I elevated my rate of turn in such that it put me way inside my normal apex. I think by accelerating the rate of the turn I could move the TP down the track and still get to my normal apex for 11. However I had turned it in probably a foot earlier I took the bike to a fairly steep lean angle I got into the throttle for my roll on then realized I was running up onto the blue and yellow paint. Some paint I have found to be fine to run on but I made a big mental note to myself after this one that Infineon paint is no good to try to corner on. My front tire seemed to just go in a heartbeat. No gradual transition from grip to loss of grip but rather a complete and sudden total loss of grip. I then went from a standard roll on to application of the throttle at a quicker rate. (as I had visions of my brand new bike not looking new for too much longer) This action did as I hoped. It got the front back inline and grabbing a bit but it was at this time that my rear (on the paint as well) stepped out in a very big way. I then haulted acceleration and maintained throttle position while gradually putting pressure on the left clip on to stand the bike up a bit as it was standing further up I went back to on-gas. The rear then came back into alignment with a little twitch in the bike as it grabbed grip again. I was off the corner ready to blaze down the straightaway for another lap. I think the track martial was debating about black flagging me and having a chat with me though. Needless to say I fouled up, but I just wanted to post this because this is what I love about riding a high performance machine at speed. It can always be broken down and analyzed. No matter what, you either did something right or did something wrong at a given time at a given place. After I analyzed this I realized that although I fouled up in the beginning I was very pleased that I didn't let SR's get in the way of me making this save. At the time although it was a little scary I felt incontrol and knew what I had to do I stayed relaxed, reacted to the grip issues I was having with what I beleived needed to be done with the throttle. I totally feel like this is a direct result of using the knowledge from both of Keiths books as well as the training on the track at the school. I'm a very average rider but feel that the road to being an advanced rider will be greatly determined by my ability to break down the things I'm doing on the bike.

Poor throttle control is to blame from what I saw. Looks like after he turned it in he gave it a healthy dose of throttle rather than a smooth roll on. Then hmm? :blink: Think he chopped it which transfered more wait onto the front tire than it could handle. To me it looks like he lost the front.

Poor throttle control is to blame from what I saw. Looks like after he turned it in he gave it a healthy dose of throttle rather than a smooth roll on. Then hmm? :blink: Think he chopped it which transfered more wait onto the front tire than it could handle. To me it looks like he lost the front.

Looks to me as a combo of poor throttle control ( rolled it on first and then chopped it )

and poor to non-existing body-positioning.

This combo forced him to get to a lean-angle that the bike-tire combination could'nt handle.

But these are just wild guesses, cause the videoclip is of poor quality.

It's also pretty safe to assume that the rider was gripping the handlebars to tight and was'nt totally focussed on that corner.

But then again, who's to say that it was'nt just a greasy spot of tarmac that took him out of control.

As far as i'm concerned there's no clear-cut reason to be observed in this footage, but the one i opened with seems to be the most likely.

Mike