Fot Peg Pressure?

guys i been told to weight the inside foot peg when your corning but i read Keith Codes book and he talks about weighing the OUTSIDE peg???i have weighed the outside peg and can feel a difference but why do all other books/lessons tell you to weigh the inside peg and say nothing about the ouside peg? I have been weighing the inside peg for years now but it felt "odd" but Keiths talk about the outsde does make senso... howabout weighing the both pegs 50/50 or 70/30? anyone got any opinions?

thanks

Steve

It's about leverage and locking yourself on the bike. If you have the inside foot weighted, you are not stable on the bike. If you have BOTH feet weighted, you can't really be stable on the bike OR in a good body position to lower your center of gravity.

Applying pressure to the outside peg, and locking yourself on the bike will allow for quicker and cleaner corners.

Keep reading... Twist of the Wrist II goes through this in detail.

It's about leverage and locking yourself on the bike. If you have the inside foot weighted, you are not stable on the bike. If you have BOTH feet weighted, you can't really be stable on the bike OR in a good body position to lower your center of gravity.

Applying pressure to the outside peg, and locking yourself on the bike will allow for quicker and cleaner corners.

Keep reading... Twist of the Wrist II goes through this in detail.

thanks for the response.. yes i been reading Twist II. My body does feel better weighing the outside peg more than the inside... im just trying to figure out exactly how much Keith suggests on weighing the ouside peg compared to the inside peg

thanks

Steve

Does he say "Weight" the peg or does he say "Push" on the peg? There is a difference, and I read it differently than you do.

hmm im not sure ill have to take out th ebook and read that chapter again... could you explain how you read it? thanks and i appreciate your time

Steve

Does he say "Weight" the peg or does he say "Push" on the peg? There is a difference, and I read it differently than you do.

hmm im not sure ill have to take out th ebook and read that chapter again... could you explain how you read it? thanks and i appreciate your time

Steve

Chapter 19, "Steering - Pivot Steering."

It isn't about the weight you put on the peg it is about the what part of the bike you are using to pivot from--to get your footing to push the bars. Using the inside peg throws you out of balance, using the outside peg and the tank to lock yourself onto the bike is the most stable, most balanced and most powerfull way to get the bars pushed.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

I encountered another rather nasty effect of weighting the inside peg while attending Level 1 at the new Miller Motor Sports Park (a fantastic experience by the way-just do it!).

Before taking the off-track steering drill, where they show you the correct way to turn and lean, I had been weighting the inside peg (I thought I was lowering the center of gravity, yada yada). During an early track session, while using this technique, I had to make a mid-turn correction, causing me to lean the bike more to get around the turn (I had turned in too early), and my boot made contact with the track. Since I had so much weight on that inside foot, it really dug into the track, bouncing my bike back up and sending me wide (really NOT what I wanted), instigating a pretty intense panic response.

Later in the day, after the steering drill (thanks Jos?), and with my weight more 'on the bike', my boot made contact again (not a mid-corner adjustment this time--Keith had shown us how to avoid those by this time--just a really fast corner!). But this time, since all my weight wasn't on that inside foot, there was almost no resistance upon contact, and the bike wasn't upset at all. Just a little skim along the track to let me know that I need to work on keeping my toe out of the way :)

The effect the second time was more thrilling as opposed to terrifying. (More grin, less panic. Why? More stability!)