Pivot Technigue?

fomopopo

Been to Level 1 & 2, as well as Code Race. Took a ton away, during every step.

Stituation: Finished the Star school a few weeks ago, and Pridmore seemed to focus on the Pivot method of setting up for a turn. In a nut shell, you pivot your hips around the tank, which puts your body in a position to better balance the bike in the turn. Also, one of his lead instructors advised that you shouldn't use the bikes seat. You should be on the balls of your feet 90% of the time while on the track.

Question: I understand that everyone has a different riding style, but I'm curious on what Keith has to say about this technique. Balancing your weight makes sense, as well as using the tank (which can't be helped). Should you always be on the pegs, or are there times when weighting the seat, in a consistent manner of course, actually helps the bike carve the turn? I also felt very "crossed up" when using this technique. Any thoughts?

I have not done the STAR School so it would be unfair of me to comment on what they teach.

But what I do know as the School Director in Europe is this:

How are you balancing your upper body if your butt is out of the seat? Are you locked on the bike? What part of the bike would you be using to hang on with? Does this make the bike more or less stable as a result?

If you felt crossed up then it sounds like you are uncomfortable and therefore most likely tense on the bike which will not help stability.

Hope this helps, let me know what you discover...

No, the idea expressed was to lock your outside leg into the bike, but keep your weight on the peg. It was instructed to use the outside peg, in conjunction with other steering imputs, to bring the bike upright after finding your exit reference. More or less, weight the outside peg to help raise the bike.

The more schools I attend, the more I find that everyone is different. The biggest mistake anyone can make, is focusing on one way of doing something. I've since adjusted my riding style slightly, like as I mentioned, being more balanced between the pegs.

Comparing the two schools, I would have to say that the Code school was set-up better for the way I learn. I need instructor impute, where Star is more of a classroom, then on your own approach.

In a nut shell, you pivot your hips around the tank, which puts your body in a position to better balance the bike in the turn.

From my experience when I do this it feels as if I'm falling off the inside of the bike. When I tiwst my hips around the tank my outside knee comes away from the tank and it's harder to get my outside knee really wedged into the cutout in the tank.

When im moving from one side to the other or from center to side, most of my weight is on my feet. I will have one or both knees on the tank and try to sit at the back of the seat. I don't hang off much, but I will lean until something drags.

If the track is bumpy all my weight will go to the pegs again. being basically a lazy rider I will sit in the seat as much as possible. Which means a lot. So only in transition and bumpy sections will I ride the pegs. Oh yea and in the dirt too.

Will