Data Analysis of my Lap vs WSBK rider

Hey guys.

I wanted to share some videos I made of me analyzing data of of my lap vs WSBK rider who is also riding my bike around Chuckwalla CW direction.

So far I have made 3 videos that are very basic, but a good place to start because they are simple and hopefully easy to understand.

My qualifications: I used to race cars, and we were very heavy into data analysis. I also spent many hours with crew-chief of Tech3 and Data Engineer for Gresini which we covered in detail all aspects of data acquisition for motorcycles.

Software and data acquisition system: "2D Data Recording" (used on all moto3, moto2 and many MotoGP machines)

The videos should be watched in order because they sort of "build" on top of each-other.

Video #1 (time spent at lean)

https://youtu.be/aJ_E-sUxJc8

Video #2 (roll speeds)

https://youtu.be/aUDGNg2WDDM

Video #3 (how it is possible that my roll speed is lower and my lean angle is higher)

https://youtu.be/02q4I4xnyLc

Future videos will all compare WSBK rider lap with my own (order not yet decided):

- Roll Rates. How fast do we add or decrease lean angle. I will also cover counter steering, and how it works

- Changing Radius during cornering. Entry, neutral, exit type corners and V-type

- Motorcycle dynamics (will be many separate videos). Lean angles converted to G's. How to calculate lean angle from radius and speed and the other way around. What are G forces. Braking G's, acceleration G's, combined G's (traction circle). Why a bike does not fall and a self correcting system (rake, trail, offset). Anti-squat. Tire coefficient of friction. Camber thrust. 

- Focus on entry phase of corners

- Focus on mid corner phase

- Focus on exit phase

- Suspension setup by suspension speed histogram to adjust rebound, compression scientifically.

- How to find more time at a given track without a reference lap.

- Oversteer & understeer

- Sprocket sizes and gear simulations on the software.

- Throttle acceptance

- Xavi Vierge data analysis from Valencia Qualifying 2016. This will be fun. He brakes at 0.9 G's at 50 degrees lean! Woohoo!

- Contact patch. Does a bigger contact patch actually provides more grip? (this one will really piss some people off)

- Ideal Tire working temperatures, how we can find them, and how we achieve them. 

- Yaw

• Like 1

Interesting! The third video may also show why quick steering is so beneficial since it allows the choice of a more efficient line. It also explained how one rider could corner at a given speed around a corner, fully decked out, while another can go faster and barely graze a peg feeler; different lines around the corner that require different amounts of lean for the same speed. Thanks for clarifying that. 

BTW, you may want to check your tags as I get a lot of animal video suggestions when watching yours, but nothing relevant. 

• Like 1

Faffi, yes quick steering gives you more possibility of lines. Especially the line that makes the biggest radius around a bend, like that of a moto3 bike.

Yes - we can have a rider creating an un-necessarily tight radius around a specific turn leaning at 55 degrees going slower than another rider who chose a line which provides them a larger radius, leaning at 45 degrees, and this 2nd rider would be going faster.

That being said, if a bike/tire is capable of reaching 55 degrees, a lean angle of 55 should 100% be achieved at some portion of any particular turn. This portion would be the moment where you are not braking, and not accelerating. This portion can last 0.1 seconds, or 4 seconds depending on the particular characteristic of that corner.

You will almost NEVER want to reach a lean angle of 45 degrees maximum at a turn, where your bike is capable of 55 degrees. It just means you could have gone faster.

I'll make an video on this topic in the near future.