How To Handle Dipped Or Crested Turn?

Anyone to help on the proper way to handle a simple turn with a dip? or a crest?

I may have spent more time in reading Keith's books than riding my bike but still do not know the best way to handle a simple left turn with dip at speed properly--- on track or as making a left turn into a side road from a crowned road and there is a dip for rain in front of the side road. The situation is that I have committed the lean angle with maintained throttle, then meet the dip that is in front and across the path. It seems it is better to cross a dip as vertically as possible, similar to cross a crested road as according to page 8 of Twist of the Wrist, "Uphill, downhill crested.... the better strategy to go over a crest is "as vertically as possible". Page 38 suggests "sometimes it is better to go directly through a rough section of track wobbling and out of shape than to figure a smoother -but slower -way around it"

How can I use one simple lean to finished the dipped turn as above, and not upsetting the suspension? Should I reduce overall speed or should I use double apex so that I can use "as vertically as possible" at the second half of turn. Timing roll-on helps dip on straight but seems conflict with maintained-throttle during turn.

Hope that someone can sharing their experience for me to practice more before returning to CSS school.

Thanks.

Anyone to help on the proper way to handle a simple turn with a dip? or a crest?

1. Vertically as possible.

2. Stay in the throttle. Do not roll off.

Should I reduce overall speed or should I use double apex so that I can use "as vertically as possible" at the second half of turn.

Yes.

Timing roll-on helps dip on straight but seems conflict with maintained-throttle during turn.

Timing roll-on helps? Not if you are waiting until after the dip to roll on.

Rolling off for a dip or bump only makes things worse by weighting the front.

Check out page 59 of TOTW II.

Good luck,

racer

Racer,

Thanks a lot for confirming the "as vertical as possible" and "get on the gas " for the dip. I tried the problem turn this morning- leaned and not on gas too early, thus with some weight at front end that helped to hook into the turn, then got on the gas and crossed the dip with speed, (at less lean angle= as vertical as possible). The bike was quite stable!!

It seems that hitting the dip with speed would disturbed the front end less than crossing the dip with roll-off to reduce speed. I shall try on a crested turn soon but expect it will make the second half of turn a little wide. Thanks again.

The critical bit is being "on the gas" as you cross the dip more than "having speed" per se. You can be on the gas (60/40 or more) without being "fast". The main point is getting weight off the front.

I do not recall the "vertical as possible" in regards to crested turns in TOTW (and I don't have a copy at hand) but it makes sense from the perspective of "as possible". If the crest is near the exit, get your turning done earlier, if it is right at the entry, you might get your turning done later. If it is in the middle, you might craft your turning before and after so you aren't at max lean as you unload over the crest. I honestly can't think of a turn like that on the circuit but it would be a challenge. If you have enough power on tap to get the front off the ground, you might stay in the gas and carry the front wheel over the crest without losing it, if you follow my meaning...

Hi Racer,

Yes, you are right that it is the "on the gas" that helps me cross the dip. "At speed" is not the intention but a by-product since in average, I turn faster because not try to roll-off for the dip any more. I find the middle of page 8 on TOTW where Keith analyzes the turn with crest. Thanks for your ideas of handling crest at different portion of turn and I would be glad when able to handle them smoothly one day.

Have safe and fun fast ride!