Breaking Through A Riding Barrier

I decided to practice only my level 1 drills today as I think I was maybe overwhelming myself a bit with trying all of the other things from the twist books all at the same time, so I headed up to the Scotish highlands for a 250 mile ride through the twisty mountain roads with a plan in mind. Work on throttle control, quick steering, turn later, relax and two step. I also decided to focus on no 8 of the 14 parts to throttle control from Keiths corner (being willing to experement with roll on rates)!

What a ride I had today, my bike felt faster and smoother than ever and the more I practiced the more confidence I gained I was completing turns with one steering input, relaxing and rolling on throughout the turn, getting on the throttle a little harder all the time until!The back end slid maybe it was just a squirm but it felt like it slide, It was like slow motion the first time, but I continued to roll on the throttle and it gently regained traction, wow what a feeling!

The reason I am writing about this experience here is that not only do I feel that I have overcome a barrier but due to joining this forum I have had loads of good advice from CSS instructors and forum members, I have read the TOTW books and am always referring to them, and I have completed level 1 of the school,

My riding is improving and today I slid my bike and knew what to do thanks to this forum!

Thanks guys I am always practicing and improving every time I go out on the bike!

Kevin, I cant wait to do the rest of the levels, unfortunately levels 2 and 3 will have to wait until next year but until then I have loads of things to practice!

I would like to point out to people on the forum that are not sure if the CSS is for them that learning these skills and doing the school is not only for racers and trackday riders cutting laptimes, I am mostly a road rider and the benefits of understanding the techniques taught at the school have made me smoother,safer and more confident (and thats only after level 1).

Thanks guys I am always practicing and improving every time I go out on the bike!

Kevin, I cant wait to do the rest of the levels, unfortunately levels 2 and 3 will have to wait until next year but until then I have loads of things to practice!

I would like to point out to people on the forum that are not sure if the CSS is for them that learning these skills and doing the school is not only for racers and trackday riders cutting laptimes, I am mostly a road rider and the benefits of understanding the techniques taught at the school have made me smoother,safer and more confident (and thats only after level 1).

Congrats with your progression/breakthrough acebobby,

It's truelly inspiring to read your little story here. Can't wait for Lvl 1 and 2 classes next year. I'm glad you said CSS isn't only for trackday squids, because since there are no good tracks around here (10 hours drive to the closest), I'll be spending 99% of my riding time on the open road. My goal is to become a better, faster, smoother, safer and more confident rider on the road, and your story confirms that taking those CSS classes will indeed help me to achieve these goals.

Keep the rubber side down! :)