Engine Oil

Here's a question for Will more than likely. I'm running a 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i for my track bike. It has a total of about 3000 miles on it. After every two track days, I do a complete oil and filter change. I'm using a K&N filter with Honda Oil 10W-40 for the track. I haven't noticed any oil usage by the bike, even running it fast in hot weather.

My question is would I gain anything either in performance or durability with this engine by switching to a snythetic oil at this point. I know you use Silkolene at the school and would like your opinion if the

1) oil change interval is correct, too much or not enough and

2) going snythetic now is right for the bike?

Thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in March at Laguna Seca for III and IV.

Rob Spero

Being that this is a track bike you will most likely not have a problem with moisture or other engine liquids because moisture in the oil is a function of heat up and cool down cycles.  When the engine is warm it breathes out (through that little block thing on top of the valve cover with the hose going to the intake plenum), when it cools (parked for the night) it breathes in and brings in cool damp air.  Enough cycles and you will pull enough moisture in set the conditions for a problem.

Rifleman, the largest quantity of water found in motor oil comes from combustion by-products, as do the acids.

Synthetic oil is a great idea.  Unfortunately most manufactures will void their warranty if you use synthetic oil in their machines.

I'd really like to see a citation of a manufacturer or dealer voiding a warranty for using synthetic oil; this is only part of the story. See, no oil which meets SAE standards may be the basis for a warranty denial; that's the law. However, if you are known to have taken the bike to a racetrack, that is grounds for such denial. Also, mixing ester- and non- ester-based oils can be cause for denial of warranty service, but this denial can be defeated if you can show that no warnings were posted, flushing was done and the bike saw only street service.

Sport Rider did a nice write-up recently about oils, although they couldn't be complete.

I saw this writeup and saved the two articles about oils. I can't remember if and what their recommedation was about changing over. I also can't see the manufacturer rejection a claim if they cannot prove that the oil was the cause of the failure. There was a recent writup in this month's Sport Rider mag about this very thing.

As for the color, mine looks brand new usually when I change out the oil and filter. Good idea about cutting the filter open to see what's inside. I already use a magnetic plug to look for shavings and the like. ;)

I know the school has changed over and would still like to find out what their experiences have been with synthetics.

Thanks,

Rob

• 3 years later...

Slightly off-topic...

Every motorcycle I have ever purchased came with a magnetic oil plug. These include Kawasaki, Honda and Yamaha (never owned a Suzuki or Euro marque).

However, some of these were second-hand used bikes, so, my question is....does anyone know of a motorcycle brand that does not come with a magnetic plug from the factory?